Sanitizer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormsgetsold

Reaction score
I have unlimited access to food safe sanitizer, octyl decyl dimethyl ammonium chloride is the primary ingredient. I was just wondering if this will work for homebrew with no ill effects.

I would think it might be a good foam killer, and may not rinse well since this is a fairly high molecular weight quat salt, and may not have terrific water solubility. Some of these quats are designed to stick to surfaces and continue sanitizing after rinsing.

Personally I would rather buy sanitizers designed and proven in beer making.

AiredAle said:
I would think it might be a good foam killer, and may not rinse well since this is a fairly high molecular weight quat salt, and may not have terrific water solubility. Some of these quats are designed to stick to surfaces and continue sanitizing after rinsing.

Personally I would rather buy sanitizers designed and proven in beer making.
I agree with AiredAle - it's not worth the risk, from my point of view - I use StarSan and have been happy with it.

Back