Sanitizer less-foamy than starsan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olie

Reaction score
When I first got started (oh, that 1 batch ago! ;) ), it seemed that starsan was a very popular sanitizing product, so that's what I grabbed off the shelf.

It seems to do the job but, after rinsing enough tubing and bottles, it seems to me that starsan is very foamy, and the bubbles can get caught in the tubing, bottleneck, carboy-neck, etc.

(NOTE: if it matters, we have extremely hard water; I use bottled for brewing.)

Anyway, I was curious if there's some sort of other sanitizer that's not quite so foamy. I've taken to using slightly-under the recommended amount, but I don't really like doing that and don't want to reduce the amount further and compromise sanitation.

Any hints/clues/tips for this n00b?

Thanks!

Oxyclean free sold at every supermarket
Mixed reviews whether it's a sanitizer or not. I use it for everything and only spritz my stuff with Starsan for good measure. I'm in the it's a sanitizer camp. Even if its not it must kill the bugs that homebrewers are concerned about because it works.

I asked my local experts about this very thing on Saturday and they said "don't fear the suds'

It's ok to proceed with suds, they also make a no-foam product as well

Saniclean is what you want, not Star-san. Made by the same company, Five Star. Contact times are a little longer and you have to use a little more but it won't foam like Star-san. The foam can be really great too because it has sanitizing properties as well. It's just as effective as the water with sanitizer only you don't use as much water because the foam fills the spaces. I've come to really like Star-san. I didn't like it at first either because of the foam, now I smear it all over everything, lol! Run a brush in your carboys with the foam to kind of spread it around. It'll dissipate faster. Last tip, fill carboys up to the transition before dosing with Star-san, that'll help minimize foaming.

Cheers!

Star San is a rinse free sanitizer, meaning that the foam will not impact flavor on your beer. I always dunk a bottle, empty excess, and fill it up.

Keep in mind this is a sanitizer, as in it will not clean any gunk at the bottom. Oxiclean or saniclean will (or pbw which is what I use)

I didn't even know this was a debate
Yep, It's gone back and forth more than once. I remember reading a thread where people were saying its not a sanitizer and one member from another country said they don't even have star san there and the entire home brewing country uses Oxyclean as a sterilizer. All I know is it works.

Multiple replies and nobody has yet stated the two obvious replies?

1. Don't fear the foam!

Yes, it foams, but there's no problem with the starsan foam getting in your beer. The amount of actual starsan solution in question is negligible. This is a common beginner concern, but really, it's fine if there is foam all over everything.

2. Iodophor

It's the #2 sanitizer used by homebrewers. It's a distant second because StarSan is just better and easier to use, but it should be your second choice if for some reason StarSan doesn't work for an application.

Star San is a rinse free sanitizer, meaning that the foam will not impact flavor on your beer. I always dunk a bottle, empty excess, and fill it up.

Keep in mind this is a sanitizer, as in it will not clean any gunk at the bottom. Oxiclean or saniclean will (or pbw which is what I use)
I thought saniclean is a acid rinse sanitizer, not a cleaner. It's the no-foam version of starsan that op is looking for.

Yep, It's gone back and forth more than once. I remember reading a thread where people were saying its not a sanitizer and one member from another country said they don't even have star san there and the entire home brewing country uses Oxyclean as a sterilizer. All I know is it works.

I won't argue that it hasn't been good enough for you but I'd argue it's not a sanitizer and definitely not a sterilizer.

Realistically it might be all that's needed for you and a lot of people but I still think to refer to it as a sanitizer is misleading.

I thought saniclean is a acid rinse sanitizer, not a cleaner. It's the no-foam version of starsan that op is looking for.

I won't argue that it hasn't been good enough for you but I'd argue it's not a sanitizer and definitely not a sterilizer.

Realistically it might be all that's needed for you and a lot of people but I still think to refer to it as a sanitizer is misleading.
Ya sanitizer is what I meant to say not sterilizer

My own research into this topic is that OxiClean does has "some" sanitizer capability, but nothing near that of a dedicated sanitizer like Star-San. One of OxiClean's ingredients is sodium percarbonate. When dissolved in water, sodium percarbonate breaks down into a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate ("soda ash"). The problem is the concentration of hydrogen peroxide is pretty low for a sanitizer (although more than adequate as a part for the "cleaning" function". Another drawback is OxiClean isn't "no-rinse" which makes it not as user friendly as a sanitizer like Star-San IMO. YMMV....

By no means foam free, but a whole lot less suds than StarSan. Way cheaper too. You can pick it up at Cash and Carry/Smart and Final stores.

large_20db0955-8f44-4bad-a1e3-7390f9be5ee6.jpg

you're probably right, I have never used saniclean but I thought it was a replacement for PBW.

Ok, thanks all.

I will try not to fear the foam, though it just bugs me. I guess I'll just have to get over myself. :)

Also: I know "sanitize" from "sterilize" from "clean" -- thanks for the reminders, though; maybe it'll help the next person.

2. Iodophor

It's the #2 sanitizer used by homebrewers. It's a distant second because StarSan is just better and easier to use, but it should be your second choice if for some reason StarSan doesn't work for an application.

Iodophor is actually a better sanitizer in the sense that it kills more undesired microorganisms. It's main drawbacks are that it stains and it also becomes ineffective after a relatively short period of time so you have to use it or lose it. Plastics are guaranteed to turn yellow, and so are your hands, and that little drop that splashed onto your shirt.

I use both starsan and iodophor. mostly iodophor for fermenters, valves and tubing on brew day, and starsan for everything else.

I've been using BTF Iodophor at the recommended 12.5 ppm concentration, and it has caused no yellowing to my plastic equipment, and it has not ever stained my hands. I don't even wear gloves anymore when using it. It is also no-rinse at the 12.5 ppm concentration level.

At well more than 12.5 ppm this stuff used to be used as surgical scrub, and wound dressing, and still may be used for those purposes for all I know.

Oh, and there is little to no foam. That plus it kills more micro-organisms than does Star San. And a comparison of their respective MSDS's will show that Iodophor is less hazardous.

If you are seeing yellowing, you are using too much of it. At that level it is wasting money, as well as no longer being a no-rinse sanitizer.

I use Five Star Io Star Sanitizer at the rate of 1oz per 5 gallons. This is the rate listed on the bottle for 25 ppm iodine, which is for directed for sanitizing with 1-2 minutes contact time, and air drying. There is no mention of a rinse.

It definitely stains plastics, hands, fabrics, etc. Maybe not all plastics, but my dedicated spray bottle, which started as nearly clear, is now solid brown and nearly opaque.

I make it 1L at a time:
1oz ~= 30ml
5G ~= 5*3.78L = 18.9L

Which equates to 1.59mL / 1 liter. I measure with a tiny syringe for accuracy. At this rate the bottle is going to last the rest of my life.

One Step uses oxygen entrained within a mineral crystal that dissolves when combined with water, which in turn releases the oxygen to form hydrogen peroxide – a compound long known for its sanitizing and disinfectant abilities.
Quote Source: http://www.ecologiccleansers.com/products/one-step/

Whether or not it is to be classified as a sanitizer is a matter of conjecture, as they have never "legally" had it certified as a sanitizer. It's also a matter of concentration and permitted exposure time. So there is clearly some serious room for debate. If you go back enough years in homebrewing, originally it was routinely used as a "one step" cleaner/sanitizer. And I don't recall any higher level of complaints about contaminated beer back then vs. today.

I keep it simple - sanitize with bleach. Rinse thoroughly. done. Cheap. Works.

Don't fear the foam! Starsan is a no rinse sanitizer. The foam is NOT a big deal or an issue!

IMHO if you rinse with water after sanitizing you risk the possibility of desanitizing by introducing microbes in water...probably unlikely but still

As others have said, don't fear the foam.

I use Starsan for all general-purpose sanitizing and always have a 32 oz spray bottle of it diluted with distilled water to use on random surfaces like the scissors I use to cut open a yeast packet, aluminum foil to cover a starter, keg posts and disconnects before connecting...

The only thing I don't use it on is kegs. I clean kegs by recirculating cleaner/water/sanitizer with one of these:

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/22/brublaster-keg-carboy-washer-do-it-yourself/

and the foam is a real problem. For that, I use Saniclean.

Back