Sanitizer Contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltherjt

Reaction score
I think I may have contaminated my brew with sanitizer somehow. It tastes like hosewater, but also like iodine. I've actually used water from a hose before and had a similar but stronger smell. I tried the beer before kegging and it didn't have this taste. I chilled it for 3 days then filtered. I previously used iodine sanitizer to clean the 5 micron filter. I think this is what happened. If I use a new .5 micron filter, will the sanitizer taste go away? Any other way to get away from this taste?

First thing is avoid using a hose as it can impart flavor. If you are using tap water directly it could have chlorine in it which can result in polyphenals being produced that give a plastic/vinyl taste so filtering your water is a good solution to that. I use a refrigerator water filter and the food grade hose that you use to hook that up with a 1/4" hose faucet attachment to fill my HLT. If it tastes like iodine I don't imagine you are going to be able to filter that out.

Thanks for the response, but I don't think you understood what I meant. I didn't use a garden hose, but it tastes as if I did. I made that mistake a year ago, and won't do it again.

I had my wife try it and she doesnt taste what I am. She said it is very floral, but tastes like a typical IPA to her. Is it possible I over-dryhopped it? I used the biofine product for a week at room temp. It has had an ounce of citra hops on it for about it week in the fridge. Also, it is still somewhat flat and cloudy. Maybe I just need to wait and let it chill more? Any ideas? Would a finer filter do anything?

Ah, I see. Depends on what the problem is. Did you filter your water or go straight from the tap? When you say tastes like a hose I think polyphenals and you can't get rid of those. If it is the yeast like you suspect a standard filter capable of filtering yeast will clean that up.

Back