Sanitary conditions of a tapped keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My thirsty brother got into a keg of Belgian that was conditioning in the back of my fridge and pulled a couple of pints off it. What do I do? I thought of racking it back to another keg but since its carbonated I might get a foamy mess. Or should I carefully remove the out valve on the corny and sanitize it?

Don't do anything to it. If he tapped it the normal way a keg is supposed to (meaning he didn't just open the lid and scoop some liquid out) why would you be concerned with sanitation again? They're called 'out' poppets for a reason :)

EvilTOJ said:
Don't do anything to it. If he tapped it the normal way a keg is supposed to (meaning he didn't just open the lid and scoop some liquid out) why would you be concerned with sanitation again? They're called 'out' poppets for a reason :)
I agree. I really don't see why you would be worried if he just dispensed some beer in the proper manner, it's what the keg is made to do!

Back