San Miguel Pale Pilsen clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AQUILAS

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know of a recipe for this beer?

Ever since I got into homebrewing, my dad has been asking me when I was going to make this beer. Being Filipino, San Mig is the drink of choice. My dad always tells me stories of when he was younger and this was the only beer they drank. If you have any Filipino friends, more than likely they'll say that San Mig is their dad/granddad's favorite beer. You should've been his face light up when I told him I'm making this as my next beer for him. He doesn't drink much, if at all, anymore, but if I make this, he's gonna hog up the keg. Lol. It'd be nice to make this for when his brothers come visit, too.

So I'd like to brew this one up for him, but I haven't been able to find a recipe for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not really a clone, but should be in the ballpark.

Mash 1.5 qts./lb., 1 hour at 150 degF
Boil volume 7 gal.
Final volume 5 gal.

Fermentables
Pale 2-row 6 lbs.
Munich 4 oz.
Flaked rice 20 oz. (instant or quick will allow you to sidestep a cereal mash)
C10L 8 oz.

Hops
German Tettnanger, 0.5 oz. for 30 min.
German Tettnanger, 0.5 oz. for 15 min.

Yeast
Dry Fermentis W34/70 or
Liquid Wyeast 2042 seems to get good reviews
unless you lack lagering capability, in which case Fermentis US-05

SG 1045
FG 1007
ABV 5.0%
IBU 13
SRM 4

Not really a clone, but should be in the ballpark.

Mash 1.5 qts./lb., 1 hour at 150 degF
Boil volume 7 gal.
Final volume 5 gal.

Fermentables
Pale 2-row 6 lbs.
Munich 4 oz.
Flaked rice 20 oz. (instant or quick will allow you to sidestep a cereal mash)
C10L 8 oz.

Hops
German Tettnanger, 0.5 oz. for 30 min.
German Tettnanger, 0.5 oz. for 15 min.

Yeast
Dry Fermentis W34/70 or
Liquid Wyeast 2042 seems to get good reviews
unless you lack lagering capability, in which case Fermentis US-05

SG 1045
FG 1007
ABV 5.0%
IBU 13
SRM 4

Right on! Thanks!

I'll have to give this a shot. I have plenty of beer to burn through so I don't mind this one hogging up my ferm chamber to lager.

I've never lagered before, so how long should this one sit in the chamber?

From Brew Your Own, Mar/Apr 2006:

"How long to lager is a matter of some discussion. Light American lagers are typically held near freezing for 10–20 days, while some strong German doppelbocks are lagered as long as six months. For medium to high-gravity beers, Greg Noonan — brewpub owner and author of “New Brewing Lager Beer” (1996, Brewers Publications) — recommends 7–12 days per each 2 °Plato of original gravity. (One degree Plato is roughly equal to 4 specific gravity “points.”). For lower gravity lagers the time is reduced to 3–7 days. According to those guidelines, a 1.064 O.G. German bock should be lagered for 112–192 days, while a 1.040 American lager would be lagered 15–35 days."

Right on! Thanks!

I'll have to give this a shot. I have plenty of beer to burn through so I don't mind this one hogging up my ferm chamber to lager.

I've never lagered before, so how long should this one sit in the chamber?
Did you ever make this? How’d it compare to San Miguel?

Back