Sampled my first cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I had an empty Mr. Beer fermenter and decided to make some cider with the recipe below:

• 2.5 Gallons Tree-top Apple Juice
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • Champagne Yeast

That's pretty much it as far as ingredients. I heated 1 gallon of juice to 120F and mixed in the brown sugar, let it cool, then added it to the primary and added more juice to get it to 2.5 gallons. Cooled it down, pitched the yeast, then let it sit for 1 month. I used 3/8 cup sugar for priming, bottled, then let it sit for 2 weeks.

I know it's still early, but I had to sample one. I don't really know how to describe the taste, it is a little sweet, but almost tastes a little sour? Honestly I can't remember the last time I had a commercial hard cider, so I don't even know if my flavor is on. I guess I should buy one to compare or have my girlfriend try one since she likes cider. Maybe my batch is just "green", but it's not that good IMO. How long do you let your sit usually?

I have virtually the same recipe going right now. I'll probably be bottling it on Mon or Tues. It's been sitting for just slightlye over a month. My recipe was 2 cups brown sugar, 2 gallons of apple juice, red star champagne yeast. I've tasted it twice so far, and it tastes wonderful to me (actually much better than I thought it would). I can't wait till I bottle it and get a little carbonation in it, and drink it at a nice cool temp.

I'd say let some other people try yours and get their opinion as well. And if no one else likes it then give it a month or two in the bottle, and try it again. If other people like it, then maybe you just don't like cider (nothing wrong with that)

Green cider is VERY tart. That might be what you taste as sour.
It will mellow out gradually, so there is nothing to worry about.

nick

Back