Sampled my first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rageagainst22

Reaction score
So after months of lurking around here i finally got up the courage to start brewing for myself. I brewed my first batch, an Irish Red from Midwest, on Wednesday night. Everything went pretty well except for losing some of my wort while transferring from the pot to my bucket (I added a little less top-off water to compensate). The next morning my airlock was bubbling away :rockin:

Today the bubbling has slowed considerably so i finally succumbed to my curiosity and opened my bucket to see what was going on in there. I decided to take a little sample to see how it was tasting. I wasn't expecting much but WOW! This stuff is already tasting really good, and has a beautiful light amber color.

I'm already planning my second batch for when my fermentor opens up, the only question is whether i should brew something for me or something for the GF who I'm sure will start hating this brewing thing soon enough :D

Hey RageAgainst22
I just taste tested my batch for the first time too. Started brewed 10 days ago. Just transferred to secondary and I was impressed with how tasty my first batch was too. I was expecting my first batch to taste a bit off but so far so good!

I'm doing a Mexican Cervesa right now, my next batch, already planned, going to do a Red Amber Ale. Good luck with your Irish Red, let us know how it turns out in the end. I can't wait to taste everything once its fully done!

Cheers!

My wife just got her 1st batch bottled yesterday that she brewed up on NHB's day. It's a Brewer's Best summer ale kit with .5lb of Carapils for steeping. With the hop additions,orange/lemon zest & spices,it's a tasty Belgian wit. It is said to be a Shock Top clone. I think hers has a bit more flavor. Even though I tasted the 2nd hydrometer sample right before bottling.
Maybe your wife would like it too? Mine was so excited when I showed her that it started bubbling the next morning.

We actually stopped in on a local brewpub's taste test the other day and she really liked their Belgian wit so I might try to brew up something similar. I was also thinking about just getting another fermentor and making a batch of apfelwein since shes more of a cider girl and that seems to get great reviews from everybody around here.

Congrats on your first batch! I really enjoy seeing these "first batch" posts. A subtle reminder that the craft is still growing!

Back