Same beer two colors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBrewthere4Iam

Reaction score
I am going with general as this could cover any number of topics. I also realize that there could be a number of reasons for my issue. I am looking for best guess

So, I did my first BIAB about a month ago and then 2 weeks later I did the same exact recipe with all the same grain/hops/ from the same LHBs. Yeast wlp530 for both batches came from a batch I washed and then used a starter. I did the same batch so I could try to get good numbers on boil off, trub, etc..

The first batch tasted great ( sample when going to secondary). The second batch also taste great ( sample) , but they are such different colors you would think they are different beers. The second beer came out of primary looking like grapefruit juice.

I am guessing the first batch looks the way it does because it was my first BIAB and the second because maybe I was more patient?

Anyhow. The one in the left has been in secondary 3 weeks and the right for 1. The right one was a lot clearer than the left but still cloudy.

Thoughts?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421187388.418871.jpg

I see a lot of yeast on the bottom of the one on the left. Not so much with the one on the right. I'd be inclined to think that the one on the right still has a lot of yeast in suspension, which will give it a lighter appearance that should darken as the yeast drops clear.

I have tennis balls all over my house in random locations too.
cute-puppy-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

The worst thing that can happen is that one will be the very best beer that you have ever tasted,....... and you won't be able to repeat the brew. :confused:

The one on the right looks much lighter because there is still alot of yeast in suspension. Since yeast is white, it makes the whole carboy look much lighter. Once the yeast drops out more, it will appear much darker.

Back