Sam Adams Coastal Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrInternet

Reaction score
This is included in the holiday sampler this year, so I was excited to try it.

Excitement over.

It is really..... blah. I'm not sure how else to describe it. There's nothing there. It doesn't taste like a wit, wheat, hefe, whatever you use to describe your favorite wheat beer. It tastes like a fizzy cloudy ale. That's it. There's no malt character, barely any wheat character, and nothing memorable. I can't imagine this being enjoyable any way other than ice cold on a hot day... there's no taste already, so the chill won't hurt that.

Anyway... I usually love SA stuff, but this is my new least favorite SA brew. Cranberry "Lambic" a close second. I think I need to stop getting the Holiday Sampler, because I always was on the fence about the "lambic" anyway, but now that's 4 beers out of 12 that are nearly undrinkable. Not worth the price for the Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig's, good as they are.

Anyone else hugely disappointed by this one? I actually think the SA Hefe and Dunkelweizen aren't bad at all...

Ok, I'm still getting my craft beer legs so bear with me.
But I was told to try the Coastal Wheat by a buddy of mine who dabbles in Stone, Dogfish, and the usual VT micros.

They had it at a bar in claremont last night so I gave it a go. Went right to UFO hefe's after that (very weak beer selection). Even as a first beer of the night this was incredibly bland. Came scrambling home for a storm king stout.

It tastes like how I remember keystone tasting in college after having a sixer.

I too was hoping for a bit more from this one.

I agree that it wasn't great. I also agree that it wasn't bad. I do think they got it mixed up and put in the wrong seasonal box. It was probably meant to release next May or June.

I just recently purchased the holiday pack, but I've only tried the Old Fezziwig's (save for the Boston and Winter lagers, which I've already had).

The reviews aren't favorable for this one, nor are they for the Cranberry Lambic. It's a shame, because that Cranberry Lambic sounds like the perfect Turkey Day beer.

Oh well, the Old Fezziwig's was good, and I'm looking forward to the Holiday Porter.

Back