Sam Adams bottles? Bottlecaps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rig_20

Reaction score
I am a relative newbie with brewing, but for my 4th and 5th brews I have used exclusively Sam Adams bottles (I was on a serious Sam Adams Boston Lager and Imperial Pilsner kick, so I had a ****load of surplus bottles). I have used the exact same amount of priming sugar on these last two batches and both of them have turned out to be very flat, even after 3 months of bottle conditioning.

I ususally use 3/4 of a cup of priming sugar per 5 gallons of brew, and this last batch (an IIPA) I used close to a full cup of sugar. This is just for reference.

I say because the previous two batches turned out too flat (as in there was no fizz) and the last batch turned out too carbonated (no matter how slow you poured the beer it was too fizzy.) My main focus was whether the Sam Adams bottles were the primary reason both batches of that beer did not carbonate to my liking, and I wanted the community to weigh in if they have had problems with Sam Adams bottles.

Also for reference, the caps on the Sam Adams bottles didn't look flush after capping whereas they did on all other bottles.

When i used to bottle i used mostly Sam Adams bottles and never really had a problem. I liked them mainly because the labels were easy to remove.

When i used to bottle i used mostly Sam Adams bottles and never really had a problem. I liked them mainly because the labels were easy to remove.

+1
I never had a problem with Sam Adams bottles.

Your hypothesis seems untenable. My inventory of @500 non-returnable 9" 12 oz. longnecks consists of at least 20% Sam Adams (others in great variety- Red Hook, Celis, Schlafly, Boulder, Michelob, Saranac, DFH...to name a few) . I have no carbonation problems with any of them. It's much more reasonable to look at caps / capper or your priming levels.

Thanks for the replies. I guess this leads to the question, is there that much of a difference between 3/4 of a cup and a full cup of priming sugar? That seems to be the only other main difference I can see between the batches. Even the bottles that looked like they were capped flush were just as flat as those that looked off.

In any case, I am glad others have had success with SA bottles because I still have a bunch of them left.

I have also recently found that the shape of the SA bottles allows me to store them perfectly in milk crates.

Because i'm a sucker, i order the 5 oz bags of priming sugar with my grains, instead of just buying a big ass bag of it. but with 5 oz i have always had a perfect level of carbonation. with respect to the bottle caps, my friend and i both use red barron capper, and we like to cap so hard it makes a slight dimple on the cap. maybe just cause we are a bit neurotic.

:tank:

What temperature are you conditioning your bottles? I use SA bottles and the first brew I made (a kit) came with 3/4c of corn sugar. I conditioned them for 2 weeks at 70 degrees and the carbonation is perfect.
Tom

I know it'd be another investment, but I'd highly recommend a small kitchen scale. You can weigh the priming sugar, instead of using "cups" measurements. Those aren't very accurate, and if the sugar is coarser or finer, even if you use the same cup the amount in the cup will vary each time.
3/4 of a cup today for me might be 1/2 cup for you, if my sugar is coarser.

I use 4 ounces (by weight) of priming sugar for most American style beers.

If you have a scale, you will also be able to weigh hops.

Thanks for the replies. I guess this leads to the question, is there that much of a difference between 3/4 of a cup and a full cup of priming sugar?

Yes... 1/4 of a cup :)

Seriously... 1 cup of sugar weighs about 7 ounces. For 2.0 volumes of CO2 you only need about 4.0 ounces of sugar for a five gallon batch.

If you used 7 ounces of sugar you would get 3.5 volumes of CO2 which is high for bottles anyhow.

It is most likely a combination of your technique plus a lack of even warmth while waiting for carbonation. Be sure to add you sugar to water (jus enough) and boil for a few minutes, then add into your bottling bucket with the beer. Stir thoroughly but don't aerate, then bottle.

I have been just adding the sugar to the top of my bottling bucket, before filling, mainly because i forget to put it in water first. what is the benefit of adding the sugar to water first? even distribution amongst the bottles? I know its the proper way to go, just not sure why exactly.

and i have been having good results with 5 oz. my friend says i need to start adjusting the amount of priming sugar to the style, but i have found friends and family like fizz, regardless of whether it is appropriate.

I usually use the amount john palmer has in his book (been a while since i bottled). But i boil one cup of water with the corn sugar in it put it in the bottling bucket and then rack in on top of that and then make sure you store it at a some what warm temp. I stored one batch in the garage and my carb was not good, i think the temp its stored at is probably where your having your problems. Ive used SA bottles and had no issues.

Back