Sam Adams advertising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Hops are to beer what grapes are to wine?

Who's the genius who thought this one up? Hops are a bittering agent and also contribute to nose/taste. Other than yeast, grape juice is really the only ingredient in wine.

So now beer is actually fermented hop juice? Have to disagree with this advertising and also have to wonder how a company this large comes up with advertising like that.

Nate said:

Who's the genius who thought this one up? Hops are a bittering agent and also contribute to nose/taste. Other than yeast, grape juice is really the only ingredient in wine.

So now beer is actually fermented hop juice? Have to disagree with this advertising and also have to wonder how a company this large comes up with advertising like that.

I was drinking Bud Dry back in 1986 when Jim Koch and the Boston Beer Company opened my eyes to craft beer. Thus, he can do no wrong in my eyes.

hops are to beer as grapes are to wine insofar as they are ingredients that contribute to the flavor and aroma

I would rather them take the line "look at all the stuff beer has, wine only has grapes!"

eh, at least the commercials actually acknowledge hops

Boston said:
I was drinking Bud Dry back in 1986 when Jim Koch and the Boston Beer Company opened my eyes to craft beer. Thus, he can do no wrong in my eyes.

So you were the one who drank Bud Dry...

i think the add is referning to the importance of hops in a beer not that you use them to make a hop juice. Thus taking a shot at the BMC makers. If you can not taste the hops then they must not be making their beer right. Jim's answer to the new bud commmercials.

Why is there so much hate for Jim Koch and BBC? I mean, the guy and his company have done so much for the craft brew movement as well as the homebrewing hobby. What other company actually spends a lot of their advertising dollars on commercials *specifically* about homebrewing?

And about the post, I think he's talking about the fact that hops give beer depth and complex flavors, as well as a floral aroma. Think about all the different hops and the different tastes/aromas they give off. Wine is usually described by it's delicate tastes and aromas, which I think would be very similar to hops.

RDWHAHB

:rolleyes:

Reverend JC said:
i think the add is referning to the importance of hops in a beer not that you use them to make a hop juice. Thus taking a shot at the BMC makers. If you can not taste the hops then they must not be making their beer right. Jim's answer to the new bud commmercials.

+1 that sounds right to me :mug:

Danny013 said:
Why is there so much hate for Jim Koch and BBC? I mean, the guy and his company have done so much for the craft brew movement as well as the homebrewing hobby.

I really think they purposely use bottles with loose labels that take a cap like a champ just to encourage sales to homebrewers. I know that when I start to run low on bottles-I just need to take one for the team and drink a bunch of Sam Adams.

Actually, I don't mind SA... just thought the logic of this ad was pretty far off. I obviously realize they aren't actually attempting to say beer is fermented hop juice and I also think I know what their intent is but... it just seems that for whatever they spend in advertising (probably hundreds of thousands plus), they could come up something better than this.

I'm 100% in agreement. I love what J. Koch did for craft beer, and beer in general, but his analogy is completely wrong no matter how you break it down, IMHO.

You simply can't make a comparison, IMHO.

Sam Adams was one of the first non BMC beers that I drank that awakened my palate and sparked my interest in real beer. For the most part I have since moved onto bigger and better things, but I still like most of their brews and I will occasionaly buy a sixer of SA. I really like how their commercials are shedding some light on Homebrewing.

talleymonster said:
Sam Adams was one of the firts non BMC beers that I drank that awakened my palate and sparked my interest in real beer. For the most part I have since moved onto bigger and better things, but I still like most of their brews and I will occasionaly buy a sixer of SA. I really like how their commercials are shedding some light on Homebrewing.

+1. I can't argue with this.

Ok which one of you fanboys is getting George Thorogood residuals.

*Still bitter about the Hank Williams cover*

EDIT: Yes I know the song in the commercial is different. Bo Diddley doesn't need my help.

Nate said:
Actually, I don't mind SA... just thought the logic of this ad was pretty far off. I obviously realize they aren't actually attempting to say beer is fermented hop juice and I also think I know what their intent is but... it just seems that for whatever they spend in advertising (probably hundreds of thousands plus), they could come up something better than this.

go to the advertising on sam adams. its clever, they set up their commercials in chapters, so if you watch them all in a row it gives you an idea of how the boston brewery wants to be viewed as a brewer, imho

I agree as well. Although SA doesnt usually thrill me but I can still enjoy it. $13 bucks for a half case of beer with flavor and the bottles are re-usable, couldnt ask for more! Plus most bars now cary Boston Lager on tap or in bottles so I dont have to resort to drinking BMC.

Nate said:
it just seems that for whatever they spend in advertising (probably hundreds of thousands plus), they could come up something better than this.

Keep in mind, they're not just marketing to homebrewers. They're marketing to the general public and the general public doesn't have the subject knowledge that we do so the commercials have to fit that.

And as for the hops/grapes comparison I think the point is that if you use crappy grapes you get crappy wine. Use crappy (or no) hops in beer and you get crappy beer.

what i think we're missing is we are the enlightened ones. most pl who consume beer - even micro beer are clueless as to the processes it went through to get to their lips.

they just know they like what they like.

in that light i think what they are trying to do is make a comparison most "johnny drinks beer" dude might understand.

i think that Jim Koch and SAM Adams has done a lot for microbrewed beer in that it is a brand well known by even the most casual of drinkers. they have also done a lot for homebrewing IMO in so much that they show commercials of staff trying to make beer. i think this appeals to the 20 something crowd who view the commercials and think "hey i can do that" and seek out an lbhs to purchase their first kit.

i personally get a giggle out of the pound of noble hops per barrel line. becasue i've put that into a 15 gallon batch before. also - noble hops are lower in alpha acids making less hoppy beers.

yet still i do like a sam adams. i'll have one or two if ppl bring it to a party or such - but prob wouldn't buy any. heck i haven't bought beer in years.

Danny013 said:
Why is there so much hate for Jim Koch and BBC? I mean, the guy and his company have done so much for the craft brew movement as well as the homebrewing hobby. What other company actually spends a lot of their advertising dollars on commercials *specifically* about homebrewing?

And about the post, I think he's talking about the fact that hops give beer depth and complex flavors, as well as a floral aroma. Think about all the different hops and the different tastes/aromas they give off. Wine is usually described by it's delicate tastes and aromas, which I think would be very similar to hops.

RDWHAHB

+1...I don't drink his beer but I saw his commerical about homebrewing and ordered a beer kit..

Go to the brewery tour at BBC and you'll see immediately that these people are seriously knowledgable about beer. That commercial is just to appeal to the general public, we all just happen to know better. Sam Adams is great beer IMHO, and their bottles are nice bonus for being resuable.

Anything Jim Koch does is Great, He has a Tutorial On Brewing Where he Mentions Drinking a Sam Adams while Brewing So that we can Reuse the Bottles...He Looks out for us I think. As well as I think they had a Competition last year or hell maybe every year IDK...That had Homebrewers Make a recipe and then the BBC judged it and the 2 Winners would have there brew made by them for a Limited time. I love What they are doing over there!:rockin:

Those SA commercials always seem like they're mocking me with their big piles of hops. It's like they're saying "shortage? what shortage? WE'VE got all the hops in the WORLD!!"

Then I open my freezer, look at my pitiful little collection of baggies and weep silently to myself.

I dont mind their commercials, actually I like the one where they say that they make 23 different brews. I still enjoy their beers and the majority of their staff are home brewers.

Any company that has a brew contest with their employees and packages and sells the top 3 beers (Sam Adams Longshot) is golden in my book.

This has really moved off topic since the OP was simply about the logic of that one ad statement and not about SA in general. Since we're there though and with regard to this homebrew contest, have you looked at SA's side of this? They get TONS of free recipes and free research along with a beer they can produce and sell. What does the brewer get? Not even a percentage of the potential endless profits (if it's a good beer) but a one time cash deal (just a few thousand dollars). How much do you think SA will make from the sales of this beer if it's really good?

Again, I LIKE SA but not sure I agree with putting them on a pedestal. The homebrew contest is really a great way for them to get cheap recipes and research. Call it a win/win for both sides but I wouldn't nominate them for sainthood... just good business sense on this particular issue.

RICLARK said:
. As well as I think they had a Competition last year or hell maybe every year IDK...That had Homebrewers Make a recipe and then the BBC judged it and the 2 Winners would have there brew made by them for a Limited time. I love What they are doing over there!:rockin:
I thought that was very cool. I think they took the best 3 or 6, brewed them on a large scale and sold them in a 12 pack. That was a big inspiration for me to finally break out the equipment that SWMBO had bought for me 4 years before and I never used. I never did pick up a 12 of the winning brews but I certainly will if they do it again. Personally, I like most of SA stuff, it's inexpensive, has reusable bottles and actually tastes pretty good. I'll get it if I don't have a homebrew and want something i know I'll like, around where I live it's generally accepted that something from the SA brewery is pretty good.

nb

brewhead said:
i sincerely doubt that SA is hurting for recipes

I don't seem to recall anything in my post stating that SA is hurting for recipes... please show me.

The homebrew contest is really a great way for them to get cheap recipes and research.

it's inferred. I've heard the same argument against sa b4 on "why i'm not going to enter the contest" or "sa is just trying to get your recipes for free". seriously they don't need your recipes.

the homebrew contest was a great way to build and cement the microbrew/homebrew/beer enthusiasts together in a marketing venture. when you can tie all the elements of your product together - it gives your product a life it never had b4. it's the same concept behind sa showing their staff tryin homebrew on the stove.

these things cement your beer not just as beer in to the minds of the consumers - but more of a lifestyle.

Danny013 said:

RDWHAHB

I don't get it either. I like several SA beers and often order them when I'm out.

RICLARK said:
Anything Jim Koch does is Great, He has a Tutorial On Brewing Where he Mentions Drinking a Sam Adams while Brewing So that we can Reuse the Bottles...He Looks out for us I think. As well as I think they had a Competition last year or hell maybe every year IDK...That had Homebrewers Make a recipe and then the BBC judged it and the 2 Winners would have there brew made by them for a Limited time. I love What they are doing over there!:rockin:

:off: Ok, RICLARK, dude, Your odd propensity to Capitalize random Words in the Middle Of sentences has Got To go!

I think the intended message is that the variety of hop in the overall flavor of a beer is similar to how the variety of grape greatly influences a wine. He left out the word "type" or "variety" for simplicity. I think he's just trying to emphasize that they put hops as an upfront consideration to the beer's flavor vs. BMC where it's only there to keep the flavor from being sweet.

Back to the topic at hand...

My wife remarked the other day how much she likes the Sam Adams commercials. I can't disagree---I think the OP sort of missed the context in which they were referred to as "what grapes are to wine". You use different grape varietals for different qualities in wine just like you use different hop varietals for different qualities in beer. One could argue that the grain has alot to do with it too, but the fact is that pretty much all barley starts out as the same basic grain on a stalk, and the different types of character grain that we use are created by the hand of man.

Plus, Sam Adams is making good beer that sees tons of exposure, and the commercials go a long way in convincing your average Joe Sixpack that beer can be much more than A.L.L.

And hey, at least they don't try to tell me that their beer is...

"FROST BREWED"
confused0024.gif

Nate said:

You should add this post to the "you know you're not a newbie when" thread.

I think you're being a tad anal...the basic message of the ad is that hops are great and Sam Adams uses them. The comparison to wine is a smart way of getting people to think of beer as being on the same level as wine with regard to sophistication. Next step - get people to realize that beer is more sophisticated than wine.;)

Nate said:
This has really moved off topic since the OP was simply about the logic of that one ad statement and not about SA in general. Since we're there though and with regard to this homebrew contest, have you looked at SA's side of this? They get TONS of free recipes and free research along with a beer they can produce and sell. What does the brewer get? Not even a percentage of the potential endless profits (if it's a good beer) but a one time cash deal (just a few thousand dollars). How much do you think SA will make from the sales of this beer if it's really good?

Again, I LIKE SA but not sure I agree with putting them on a pedestal. The homebrew contest is really a great way for them to get cheap recipes and research. Call it a win/win for both sides but I wouldn't nominate them for sainthood... just good business sense on this particular issue.

Since they could find most of the recipes online(places like this) and you would receive nothing the fact that they give you $5,000 is pretty nice.
Recipes can't be protected from use as by changing each ingredient by 1/4 oz(or less) it is no longer the same recipe.

Back