Saison with Pear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
All,

I have farmhouse ale sitting in a secondary that I would like to add pears too. Has anyone tried this before?

I was thinking of washing and slicing the pears and grilling about a pound of them on a frying pan (to Carmelize) and just dropping whole slices into my secondary.

Crazy or intriguing? Or do you have another recommendation? Please keep in mind my base beer is already made and I can't go back in the past to add the fruit (like in the mash or BK).

that sounds pretty tasty. most matter ive ever added to a saison was 3 big sliced cucumbers and 2 whole sprigs of mint. Aside from wild saisons, that was the only one I secondaried. Im sure youd get a not-negligible amount of sugar from the pears and it would restart fermentation

Yes, I have tried a saison with some pear in there, and it is quite tasty. Not sure about caramelizing them, but that's the beauty of homebrewing.

The last BYO issue had a whole section on using fruit. Per that article Pear flavor was a subtle addition and they recommended about 2 lbs per gallon on it's usage. I say try it and see. There's also a hop variety that is supposed to have a Pear like aroma to it. Can't think of the name of it right now, but I'd be tempted to dry hop with some of that too.

Jaryllo is supposed to have pear. Also, a lot of belgian yeasts (liek duvel) can give off pear aromas. You could blend another yeast with the saison if you wanted to stress the pear

As long as its a clean beer without any bugs, id shoot for 2 weeks. 1-2 weeks in primary then 2 weeks secondary on the fruit

I think caramelizing is a great idea. Pear is a super light flavor, so you'd have to use tons to get much in the finished product. I say go for it.

Latest posts

Back