Saison Serving Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Kegged my Saison last week after a 2 week fermentation. Been in the keg 4 days. I tried it at my Carbing temp which was 38 degrees like a fool. I thought it didn't have much taste, which I guess would be about right considering how cold I drank. My brother in law on the other hand said it tasted great. What temp should a saison be served at? Can the temp really affect flavor that much?

I'd serve a saison in the mid to upper 40's. Generally, the more esters in a beer, the warmer you want to drink it. I have had some overly estery beers though and serving them colder helped to balance the flavors.

So yes, temperature can make a BIG difference.

Yeah I would say temperature makes a huge difference. I feel like I'm wasting it if I drink a complex beer at or near fridge temps. Upper 40's, even low to mid 50's is what I shoot for. Some beers taste just okay at that temperature, then you let it sit out for 20-30 minutes and it's golden.

A proper saison should be drank out of a burlap sack at body temperature, preferably in the midst of a herd of livestock.

I would totally agree other than the burlap sack part. Not sure how water tight it is, so perhaps a sack lined with animal bladder?

I just brewed my first beer, which happens to be a saison (no $$ for temp. control yet ;)), and I think it tastes best at room temperature. I know this is off putting for many people, but I simply don’t care. I’ve drunk water at room temp since I was a kid. If you want to drink it like it was drunk originally, I believe it was drunk at room temperature.

#dowhatyouwant
#preferenceisking

Back