Saison Restart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvetter

Reaction score
So I brewed a Saison on the 4th and I ended up being a little more efficient with my extract than expected (1.082 sg versus 1.074 sg). Thus, the amount of yeast I pitched was probably a little low even though I used a 2 vial 3 liter started on a stir plate.

I pitched the yeast when the beer was around 74 degrees F and set the ETC to 82 F by the end of the day (my research shows the WL565 likes it warm). After 2 days the primary fermentation seemed to stop, the gravity was only at 1.060 or so, and the top of the wort had no activity. Four days after the brew I was only seeing bubbles every 25-30 seconds.

Not really knowing if the problem was a yeast problem or fermentable sugar problem, I added some yeast nutrients, oxygenated, and raised temp to 85 F. Then submitted this post to help determine whether it was a fermentable issue.

Well today, three days after my addition of oxygen and nutrients (5 days after the brew) I'm seeing a every 4 second bubble rate, and significantly more activity on the top of the wort.

So my question is WTF! :) Did it really take 3 days for the oxygen and nutrients to get to the yeast or is there something else at work here?

Thanks,
Jaime

good to see this thread. i've used wlp565 for the last time. it produced a great classic saison for me about two years ago, but it hasn't finished out any of the last 6 batches i've used it for.
the last one was a 10 gallon batch (a rye saison, o.g. 1.074) for which i did two starters. thinking that the previous problems were due to the fact that i wasn't getting the temperature high enough, i put one out in the garage that was getting up to about 88 - 90 deg. during the day and staying pretty warm through the night. after two weeks of lackluster bubbling from both carboys i racked them and they were both 1.020. after pitching some wyeast 3787 on them they only got down to 1.015.
i sent a message to white labs explaining the problem, and they just said that you can either ferment at higher temperatures (i did!) or be patient (uh, even with nary a bubble?) or use another yeast to finish it out.
i can't see how saison dupont gets such good attenuation from this yeast. they must be way overpitching or something.

Yes, but the weird thing about this is the restart. I haven't heard anything like this happening before. Especially since I oxygenated and added nutrients 3 days prior to the restart.

This morning the bubbles are even faster! So the question remains, was it the oxygen and nutrients that caused the restart or something else. I would expect the yeast to react quicker to the introduction of these.

Jaime

Latest posts

Back