Saison Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMohan13

Reaction score
Seeing as how I am actually able to keep an ambient temp of at least 85 degrees, i figured it would be a good time to make a saison since it seems to thrive at those sorts of temps. I've read a bit, and i think i plan on starting it at that high temp from the start instead of ramping up as some others have. I have a few questions related to this temperature:

When making a starter, should i keep it at a higher temperature as well?

And when pitching, will it better to pitch at a higher temp around 80 or 85, or just to wait til it cools to about 70 as i normally would?

After primary fermentation is complete is it advisable to continue to leave it in the higher temp. environment. I don't use a secondary, so i would just leave it in the primary, but would i want to move it to a more moderate temperature?

When making a starter, should i keep it at a higher temperature as well?

And when pitching, will it better to pitch at a higher temp around 80 or 85, or just to wait til it cools to about 70 as i normally would?

After primary fermentation is complete is it advisable to continue to leave it in the higher temp. environment. I don't use a secondary, so i would just leave it in the primary, but would i want to move it to a more moderate temperature?
  1. Your growing yeast not making beer, so keep the temps around 68f
  2. Pitch at normal pitching temps (68f) or 70 in your case and let it take off on it's own. If your ambient temp in the room is 85 the wort temp will eventually rise, and likley go higher. Mine Saison fermentations have reached 90f :eek:
  3. once it's fermented out try to keep the temps moderate if you can.

Back