Saison odor question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wags13

Reaction score
Hey guys, just racked a simple saison (1.072- 1.006, French saison wyeast, held at 75 up to 80) in to a secondary after two weeks in the primary. I'm getting a smokey odor from it. Any thoughts on smokey scent? indicator of Any off flavors? Gonna taste some In a few days after it clears up a bit..

I brewed something similar (at least based on the gravities you gave and the yeast strain) in late summer. I did not notice any smokey scents or flavors. The beer did benefit quite a bit from cold conditioning though. Just a thought in case you are not 100% happy with how it tastes when you first taste it.

That's one of my house strains (3711) and I've never noticed any smoke odors. But I also think that it's not quite done yet. That last time I used 3711 it took my 1.074 Saison right down to 0.992 in a month.

After a few more weeks in the secondary, hopefully it will clean things up. Good luck!

-Mike

Back