Saison Grain Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FortMillBrew

Reaction score
I just got my milled grains today for a Saison I am brewing tomorrow and noticed on my packing list that there is more of 2 grains than I ordered. Is there something I should do to tweak this or should it be fine? I was thinking I should up the CaraVienne but I really do not know...

Specialty Grains
Belgian Aromatic supposed to be 4oz, got 8oz
Carapils supposed to be 4oz, got 8oz
Belgian CaraVienne supposed to be 8oz, got 8oz

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered...

What's the base look like... how much wheat do you have in there? (i'm assuming you're using some) You won't need the Carapils IMO. You could up the CV sure... but need more info on grain bill etc.

What's the base look like... how much wheat do you have in there? (i'm assuming you're using some) You won't need the Carapils IMO. You could up the CV sure... but need more info on grain bill etc.

10# of Belgian Pale completes the grain bill.

I'm probably not "typical"........ There really is no question about that ;-)........... I get a bit more of this and a bit more of that than I need, and sometimes buy something on a whim with no idea what I'm going to do with it. Eventually I have to brew a "left over" beer, and I sit down in front of Brewer's Friend, as well as googling what I have to see how to use it. With bit of extra 2 row on hand for the backbone of the brew, I'll put a few other things in with it, and use that extra packet of hops........ The Mosaic I ordered with my last order on a whim, because I'd heard good things about it for example.

I'm not good at following recipes........ but none of the all grain brews I've made yet are dumpers!

Recently I screwed up and put the wrong bag of grain in my brew bag..... Oops! I had RedX and 2 row, and mashed straight two row instead of RedX. They look the same in the bag..........But they don't look at all alike after mashing. I had some Carapils and some Crystal 60 in my left over collection, and some left over Fuggles and Magnum. I simply tossed the Carapils and CR60 in a steeping bag and put them in the boil, put a bit of magnum in for bittering, and tossed the Fuggles in later. The resulting brew APA Fuggles is quite good, and wouldn't have been brewed without my having made a mistake and also having left overs around.

In another case I was dying to brew something.......anything, but hadn't been to the LHBS for quite a while. All I had was 2.25 lbs of 2 row, as well as some Northern Brewer and East Kent Goldings............. Searching the cupboards, I found some rice and some honey. I cooked up the small amount of rice, and mashed with the two row, and added honey to bring the OG up to suitable level during the boil. It made a nice 2.5 gallon batch of a very light colored beer........not light on ABV. The combination with NB and Goldings resulted in a nice pilsner tasting beer..... as if I had used Saaz.

I personally would rather create something than follow a recipe. But you've got to have some sort of plan and not step too far off the beaten path. The mistakes all have already been made........no sense repeating them!

H.W.

i definitely wouldn't up the caravienne. personally i'd just use the pale & aromatic, but it'll be fine as is

I did some research and learned some lessons yesterday...
I'll leave it as is and brew the Birthday Saison tonight.
When ordering grain online, I will have each grain put into its own bag.
And I NEED to buy a mill!!
Thanks for the replies!

Back