Saison FG seems high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
had an OG of 1.067
and my FG after 3 weeks is only 1.020
I could post the whole recipe if need be but,
was wondering if I pitched a second yeast and waited another week could I get it to drop down to the 'style guidelines' of it being a saison (1.012-1.002)

any thoughts ?

Which yeast were you using and what was your fermentation temp? Also, did you use a starter?

WLP565, active fermentation was about 68 and then after a week and a half put it at room temp in a New York apartment (78-85) for the last week and a half. no starter

565 is Dupont I believe, notorious for sticking at that FG. Next time use a starter for such a big beer, and your current options are warming it up hoping it starts back up quickly, or wait it out Dupont will eventually start going on its own again. You can also pitch 3711 (french saison) to finish the beer off, this is a common practice as well.

A question.... How are you taking the gravity reading? Hydrometer or refractometer?

Second! 565 is known to stall for a while. If you can heat it up and let it go for a while longer it should get down to the single digits. I use thw Wyeast equivelent but they are supposed to be the same yeast. I have always had it finish in the 1.004 range, but it get it hot pretty quickly.

YOu did underpitch so it may take a while to finish. If you cannot get it to finish lower than 1.008 after heating it up and givingit a least another week or two, then I would suggest making a starter with 3711 and pitching at high krausen. That stuff will eat the spoon if you stir it for too long. Second choice would be use some rehydrated Belle Saison. That yeast is also a beast.

So I went out to do some errands and when I get back OP gets all the great advice I could have gave. You gotta love this community!

I have a yeast crush on WY 3711. That stuff will do the job every time.

Latest posts

Back