Brett Beer Saison Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay so i have decided that the smell i am getting could possibly autolysis. it smells similar to boiled eggs. so just as a precaution i have racked the beer off of the yeast cake into a secondary. This morning it the airlock already smelled better. I may have saved this beer. The odd thin is that it didnt tast all that bad. Mostly just really bretty. I am in the same LHBC as the number 1 BJCP judge in california so once this is done ill ask him what he thinks.

my question is What is everyone's theory on what happend here? If brett is supposed to be so strong and able to eat up all that dead yeast wouldnt the 2000ml culture from saison brett have prettymuch insured autolysis wouldn't be a worry.

question two is how can i continue drying out this beer as it stubornly remains at 1.027 even with the brett* at a happy 70 degrees.

*NOTE: i have no way of knowing how much brett was still in suspension, if any, when i racked into a sanatized carboy for secondary last night.

SERIOUSLY PLEASE HELP!!! I am willing to repay advice with brett cultures shipped from my yeast farm :)

brewing this wed. have a vial ea of 3724 and brett c. would i need a starter if using the 2 vials? if so, should i do a starter for both or just the 3724?

chriscam said:
brewing this wed. have a vial ea of 3724 and brett c. would i need a starter if using the 2 vials? if so, should i do a starter for both or just the 3724?

You'll need a starter to satisfy your OG wort needs. Pitch the Brett when you get close to your FG.

If you are using a refractometer for FG the final number needs to be recalculated to get the true FG. I used this calculator

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

given an OG reading of 1.056 (13.6 Brix) and a final reading of 1.027(6.7Brix) the true FG is 1.0087 and ABV is 6.12%
hope this helps

YEAH............ about that. the beer was perfectly fine the whole time. :) just kegged this one last night. a little early im sure but the hydro sample tasted sooo great, i just couldnt resist. besides ill be brewing this beer for my wedding again soon, and ill let it age right up to the week before I leave for SLO. then its a quick clarifying treatment (if still needed at that point) and im off.

Thank you again everyone,
Alex

this has been sitting in the closet after primary for about 3 months now. I am getting anxious. Haven't even taken a gravity sample yet :)

Patience......now zen........ you can take a hydro sample :) it won; hurt to do that but your Brett won't really shine unti about the 8 month mark. Not that it won't be there before that but to really shine 8 months or so is a good mark.

I just hit the 8 month mark on my first brett sour... And it finally started turning the corner for the better. So... Take that as encouragement and look forward to something great

I'm making a starter to brew either tomorrow or tues. Do I pitch both yeast and Brett at the same time? Sorry first time using brett

hbr2547 said:
I'm making a starter to brew either tomorrow or tues. Do I pitch both yeast and Brett at the same time? Sorry first time using brett

Some say at the same time. I say let Sacc do its thing first, then pitch Brett.

Hi all- brewed this morning and ended up at 1.07 near 85 percent efficiency. Never usually that high but recently tightened gaping mill and started conditioning grain !!!! Amazing.

Anyway, pitched yeast and Brett and can't wait for this baby to come into its own. Has anyone dry hoped consistent with Motrin first page? A long way away but figured id plan

So I waited to pitch my Brett but my gravity is already down to about 1.01. Do I need to make up another starter for the Brett so it has some food or should I just pitch it in?

chriscam said:
So I waited to pitch my Brett but my gravity is already down to about 1.01. Do I need to make up another starter for the Brett so it has some food or should I just pitch it in?

Pitch that ***** in! Brett will do work!

If you are using a refractometer for FG the final number needs to be recalculated to get the true FG. I used this calculator

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

given an OG reading of 1.056 (13.6 Brix) and a final reading of 1.027(6.7Brix) the true FG is 1.0087 and ABV is 6.12%
hope this helps

Yeah man. That actually helped a lot. I've since figured out that this was the problem and not my brewing practices. So I'm glad the beer was saved

So checked gravity today and stuck, like others, around 1.03. I have no way of bringing to 90s for a week - what worked best for others. I pitched white labs Brett c will that just do it's thing over time? Sorry, just a bit nervous first time using both yeast and brett

hbr2547 said:
So checked gravity today and stuck, like others, around 1.03. I have no way of bringing to 90s for a week - what worked best for others. I pitched white labs Brett c will that just do it's thing over time? Sorry, just a bit nervous first time using both yeast and brett

Brett will start doing it's thing. Time is your best friend with Brett. Sit back, relax and let the yeast do their job.

Gothic_Horror said:
Brett will start doing it's thing. Time is your best friend with Brett. Sit back, relax and let the yeast do their job.

I have in my basement at around 64 - is this too cold for the Brett?

mine is coming up on 6 months now in the original fermentor. I need to sample and see where it's at and check the gravity. I keep forgetting to do so until I get on here while I'm not at home :cross:

mine is coming up on 6 months now in the original fermentor. I need to sample and see where it's at and check the gravity. I keep forgetting to do so until I get on here while I'm not at home :cross:

You should check it out. I find my version peaks between 7-10 months.

DO NOT bottle yet ...... it will take a solid 8 months for the brett to do all it can 1.008 is still high..... figure 1.002 with brett ..... also, be very careful if bottling. I would wait brett moves slow and it could take weeks for points to drop, any sugars added for bottling will also be slowly eaten by the brett and will cause gushing as it highly attenutive. it wont effect flavor but once it is finally fully finished only use like half the amount of priming sugar that you would normally.

I am looking for a saison recipe to brew and this one looks great. But, can anyone help me out with a few things?

It seems like some people are saying 3 months while others are saying 8 months before bottling. Which is better?

What kind of bottles is every one using? would this beer be alright in some 22 oz bombers?

How important is temperature stability over the long haul? I don't really want to hold up one of my brew fridges for 3-8 months (also I would have to figure out how to raise the temperature in there). Could I control the temperature for the first 2-4 weeks and then just stick in my closet where it will fluctuate from 65-85*F?

Thanks ahead of time!

Like these other guys have said, let it run a little longer. I bottle most of my brett secondary beers around the 6 month mark (brett primaries after around 6-8 weeks). That Logsdon strain should take it down a little lower and give you some cheesy straw funk.

DS, what's your methodology behind bottling brett b secondaries at 6-8 months, vs brett primaries at 6-8 weeks? I always assumed that Brett B would continue to chew through sacc non-fermentables for months, regardless of being added as primary or secondary yeast.

subscribed...

DS, what's your methodology behind bottling brett b secondaries at 6-8 months, vs brett primaries at 6-8 weeks? I always assumed that Brett B would continue to chew through sacc non-fermentables for months, regardless of being added as primary or secondary yeast.

subscribed...

It's a feature of Brett strains. When used as the primary yeast, they crank through the whole batch in a matter of weeks, finishing out at a standard FG. When used as a secondary yeast, it ferments for months and finishes lower. The former tend to be fruitier and the latter tend to be more of the typical funky aromas/flavors.

I plan to brew this up in the next month or so :D

The sooner, the better.

I have not brewed this recipe, nor will I be brewing it anytime soon. I put together my own Saison recipe (my second one) but am using some of the methods other HBT'ers have posted here.

The sooner, the better.

I have not brewed this recipe, nor will I be brewing it anytime soon. I put together my own Saison recipe (my second one) but am using some of the methods other HBT'ers have posted here.

I wish I could do it sooner, but I already have my next 5 batches planned and purchased, plus I have to wait till my apfelwein is done to use my glass carboy. The pains of a homebrewer :D

I have this in a plastic bucket. So far it's been 2 weeks. Should I leave it in the bucket or transfer to glass carboy? Thanks

I have this in a plastic bucket. So far it's been 2 weeks. Should I leave it in the bucket or transfer to glass carboy? Thanks

I recommend moving it to the glass carboy. I personally wouldnt leave anything in a bucket for more than 4 weeks.

I have the WLP650 Brett B on its second step on the stirplate right now and will be brewing this Friday since I dont have work. :rockin:

Had a great brewday yesterday and already have a furious amount of airlock activity. I ended up ordering a 55lb bag of avangard pilsen for this and other beers, and as expecting with this malt my gravity came out 4 points higher, which im okay with. :D

Now the hard part, waiting a year!

Brewed up a batch of this today. I couldn't find a Boulevard so I added the dregs of a Femme Fatale Blanc and a Saison de Lente to my starter. Bubbling at twice a minute at 4 hours. Fear wrap is holding it at 81 in the garage... Now we wait.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have a question about primary fermentation. I pitched only Brett B WLP650, so how long should I keep it at 80 degrees before I can safely drop it back down to room temp at 65 degrees?

Did 9mo primary then dry hopped with 2oz Amarillo for 2wk, then packaged. Drinking pretty nice. Super bretty and I LOVE Brett

So I brewed up this beer after tasting the Blvd Saison-Brett and loving it. One concern I have is I don't have a good way to filter my kettle hops and generally just throw them in the fermenter. I tried my best to whirlpool and siphon around them but still ended up with a not-insignificant amount of hops in the fermenter. It has been fermenting away for 2 weeks now but I'm worried about leaving the beer on those hops while letting the Brett do its thing.

Think I should just RDWHAHB and let it ride in the primary or move it to a secondary to let the Brett work (the Brett has already been pitched in, pitched from Blvd S-B dregs with the saison yeast)?

Latest posts

Back