Saison and dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first impression on 8oz of dry hops in a saison, yes, out of place. But, I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. I'm drinking a saison right now I brewed for the hot summer days and I used 2oz of hops total, to get the IBUs where I wanted them and maybe a touch of flavor. You could always taste it when it's done fermenting and see what you think? I haven't used the 3726 but I imagine you'd ferment pretty warm and get a lot of nice yeasty flavors.

My first impression on 8oz of dry hops in a saison, yes, out of place. But, I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. I'm drinking a saison right now I brewed for the hot summer days and I used 2oz of hops total, to get the IBUs where I wanted them and maybe a touch of flavor. You could always taste it when it's done fermenting and see what you think? I haven't used the 3726 but I imagine you'd ferment pretty warm and get a lot of nice yeasty flavors.

I see. I could maybe split it and do a batch where I drop hop and leave one with out.

I decided simply to go with 3.75 oz for the dry hopping and saving the rest for the next one, if it turns out to be good.

I have read many threads on different forums regarding dry hop amount and although most people go with 3-4 oz for a 5 gallon IPA, I always found that to be a bit underwhelming. I like more like 6-8 oz for an IPA...

Thanks for the replies.

I agree with your decision. A dry hopped saison is on my todo list, but 8 oz is on par with what I put into my NEIPAs. I'll be curious to hear how this turns out.

For what it's worth, I was thinking Nelson Sauvin for my Saison hops.

The saison I'm drinking right now I used only sorachi ace hops, 1oz for bittering, and another 1oz flameout. These hops have an interesting character that I think suits a saison well.

I agree that a couple oz of hops for a dry hop can be underwhelming. If I dry hop I do a minimum of 4oz. Though, I'm only dry hopping IPAs and PAs, maybe they'll shine through a little more in a saison.

I routinely use 4-6 oz dry hop in my Boulevard Tank 7 inspired saison, comes out fantastic! I will say that the yeast strain you use will likely have a large impact on the success of this approach though. I am using WLP670 and its very much on the fruitier side of saison yeasts as opposed to peppery that some lean too.

I agree with your decision. A dry hopped saison is on my todo list, but 8 oz is on par with what I put into my NEIPAs. I'll be curious to hear how this turns out.

For what it's worth, I was thinking Nelson Sauvin for my Saison hops.

Nelson Sauvin would work wonderfully in a saison, based solely on the beers I brewed and hopped with Nelson. I find that a few NZ / Australian hops have these qualities.

This is why I will go with Rakau. Falconer's Flight 7C'S will also add a spicy touch and Yellow Sub is there for providing a bit of " fruittiness ".

I will make sure to post the results of this brew, if anyone will be interested.

I dryhopped with an ounce of Nelson Sauvin in the last Saison I brewed. It was fantastic.

Back