Saflager s23 - final gravity way too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorthirsty

Reaction score
I am struggling to get the final gravity of my lager down. I'm brewing a pilsner (but throwing in some extra hops).

I have tried re-hydrating the yeast (using two packets for an 18 litre batch) using sterile water at about 23 degrees, then have tried pitching into pre-cooled wort and also tried wort at about the same temperature in case I am shocking the yeast.

Fermenting at a constant 12 degrees (have also tried at 14) using a brewPi. Diacetyl rest does not affect the FG

I'm giving it plenty of O2 from a cylinder and air stone - seems to make no difference.

I've done four or five batches now and nothing gets below 1.020 . Completely stumped :confused: I have a few more packets of s23 to use up but I'm thinking of ditching it and switching to W-34/70

Crappy batch of s23 ? Anyone else had similar problems ?

Oh oh!

I am planning on brewing a lager very soon using 2 packets of s-23. Hope I don't run into this problem.

Good luck finding a solution.

Sheldon

We fermented ours at 8C and had no problem with the FG. We finished at 1.012 with a single pack.

I state that to let you know it's possible.

Can you give us more information about the fermentation? Is the temp steady, or does it fluctuate? What was your OG? What was your grain bill? What temp, and for how long, did you mash?

Cheers

the s23 spec sheet says ideal fermentation temp is between 12 and 15 C. I've tried 12 and 14 and I know this *should* be working fine. I'm maintaining an accurate fermentation temperature (+- 0.1 C)

I'm using just Weyermann Pilsner malt. OG has been between 1.067 and 1.052 on the three attempts I've made (I have varied the amount of malt from 4.5 to 5 kg). Brew profile was: Mash in 38 C, then 63 C for 40 mins, 73 C for 25 mins, 78 C for 10 mins, then boil for 80 mins.

As an experiment I tried loading another half a packet of yeast into some of the "finished" beer and at room temperature it does continue to ferment a little, so it seems there are still fermentable sugars in there.

All the yeast i have been using on these batches was bought at the same time, which makes me suspicious. It is dried yeast which I thought was pretty indestructible, and it is still within date. But trying a different batch of yeast seems the next logical step.

For example, I recently made an English IPA. The yeast I ordered for this was supposed to arrive overnight but it took 10 days to reach me for some reason. The first pack of Wyeast Activator I pitched in was totally dead. Nothing happened for two days. Nada. Not a bubble. So i pitched in a second packet of identical yeast, bought at exactly the same time, from the same place, and in same shipment. Within a few hours it was frothing away vigorously. Something happened to the first packet of yeast in transit methinks.

So if all else fails, blame the postman ! I just can't see what else can be at fault, but any suggestions appreciated

Back