Safest way to carb a session mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash568

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I am brand new to this forum as I am currently working on my first mead. Its a session mead coming in around 6.5-7% abv, I have a 2.5 gal batch that was 4lbs of honey and sg was 1.054. Its been about 3 weeks now and I moved into secondary to clear about 10 days ago. Things look pretty clear and the gravity is sitting at just under 1.000 now and I am thinking its almost time to bottle. I want this to have some carb to it since its a little thin with it being such a low abv and low FG it needs help with the body.

I want to know what you guys think would be the best way to prime this for bottles with out risking any type of explosions happening in my beer closet. Any input is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

You might consider adding carbonation drops (one per bottle) or you might add 1 scant ounce of sugar (dissolved in water) per gallon to a bottling bucket.

I know the drops are out there but i never use them, you think an oz per gal is too much? I usually ad about an oz and a half to carb up most of my beers (2.5 gals)

I have used that before I guess mby just shoot for something not super carbed like a stout or something?

What explosion risk are you thinking?
Just stick to the normal beer range and nothing should happen.

Back