Safely pressure fermenting with Spike Flex+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwpowell

Reaction score
I’m looking for a recommended setup which incorporates both a 15 psi PRV and a spunding valve for safely doing pressure fermentation with the Spike Flex+. I am considering drilling and tapping the cooling coil top to 1/4 NPT and installing the PRV there and then having the spunding valve on the 1.5” TC on the lid. Also considered the TC blow off cane with a tee at the bottom. There would be a ball valve that you can close towards end of fermentation along with a 90 elbow for the spunding valve similar to SSBREWTECH Unitank configuration. @SpikeBrewing can you provide a safe configuration for pressure fermenting.

We recommend a purpose built spunding valve that utilizes a 1.5" TC connection. Anything smaller can get clogged. Always remember to never place a valve before your pressure release.

We recommend a purpose built spunding valve that utilizes a 1.5" TC connection. Anything smaller can get clogged. Always remember to never place a valve before your pressure release.

I am going to use the Blichmann TC spunding valve on the 1.5” TC port. Where would you recommend locating the PRV? How about a tee on the 1.5” TC port with the PRV on the top and the spunding on the side? Other option I considered is permanently installing on the cooling coil cap. Thanks @SpikeBrewing!

I am going to use the Blichmann TC spunding valve on the 1.5” TC port. Where would you recommend locating the PRV? How about a tee on the 1.5” TC port with the PRV on the top and the spunding on the side? Other option I considered is permanently installing on the cooling coil cap. Thanks @SpikeBrewing!

Unfortunately we don't recommend that 'spunding valve'. The outlets are too small and could get clogged. If they get clogged very bad things can happen. A lot of people use a tee off the 1.5" TC on the lid. Are you apart of the Spike User Group o Facebook by chance? A lot of helpful people in there!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/291675194673906

I’d like to make a feature request. Either put a 1.5” TC port on the 4” cap and chiller coil or drill and tap them so the PRV is permanently installed. Make the PRV a non-optional accessory. Thanks @SpikeBrewing

Attachments

• 94A3035E-18D1-4892-97D3-7E7F303A7FD9.jpeg
    94A3035E-18D1-4892-97D3-7E7F303A7FD9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
  • FEF71ACC-9ABA-4BE7-A2D4-EDFAAB1D0093.jpeg
    FEF71ACC-9ABA-4BE7-A2D4-EDFAAB1D0093.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
I'd go the 1.5" tee route and drill and tap a 1.5" TC end cap instead of the 4" TC cooling coil cap on the minimal possibility that a threaded connection is more difficult to sanitize. Worst case you could ditch the 1.5" TC cap instead of messing up the 4" cooling coil cap.

I’m curious if you have had any pressure leak problems. Somewhere I have a air leak. I didn’t think I would have to use keg lube? Do you use keg lube in the seals? Maybe not all of them... maybe just the air posts and popits.

I’m curious if you have had any pressure leak problems. Somewhere I have a air leak. I didn’t think I would have to use keg lube? Do you use keg lube in the seals? Maybe not all of them... maybe just the air posts and popits.
I actually found a leak in the rubber seal ring around the rim of the bowl (where the lid goes on). I used a bit of keg lube and it seemed to help. No mention of keg lube prior to doing this - mabbe SPIKE should put it in their manual or whatever. I tightened the hand cranked lock to fasten the lid to the bowl - very hard - but I think the lube helped the most. lube. heheheheh !

I’d like to make a feature request. Either put a 1.5” TC port on the 4” cap and chiller coil or drill and tap them so the PRV is permanently installed. Make the PRV a non-optional accessory. Thanks @SpikeBrewing
I just got a flex+ and mine came with a lid with 3 x 1.5" TC and 1 x 4" TC even though it is 2 x 1.5" TC and 1 x 4" TC in all the documents I can find.

With the three port lids, I decided to get a dedicated 1.5" TC 15 psi PRV with a vacuum breaker, to prevent crushing my fermenter if I forget to pressurize at least a bit with CO2 when cold crashing. The downside to the one I found on Alibaba is that there's no manual pressure release valve, so I still need either a spunding valve or the Spike manifold. Good peace of mind, though

Back