Safe to use erlenmeyer flasks from school lab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pattatat

Reaction score
There is a local craigslist posting with lab glassware for sale, 5 bucks an item.
He has some erlenmeyer flasks, and is getting back to me as to what size they are. I would love to get a 2 liter or larger if he has it, my one liter flask is just too small.
Would these be safe to use for my yeast starters?
I asked the seller and he is unsure what was in them, but just knows that they were used in a school lab.

I think I should make way for a lab worker...

...but I'd wash them thoroughly and use them. Especially if they're autoclavable, at which point I'd consider boiling them for sterilization in favor of sanitation.

School labs probably don't use anything particularly nasty, but I'd agree with philrose to give them a very thorough cleaning, maybe even a few times through the dishwasher and a long PBW/Oxyclean soak. If they have any scratches or nicks, though, I'd pass.

Assuming they are pyrex glassware, which is what most school labs use, they should be fine. I'd give them a good washing, and the idea of soaking them in PBW for a while is a good one. Rinse them with water first, no idea what chemicals could be in there still. That being said, soap + water removes most chemicals from glassware.

I work at a medical school and got all mine and a stirplate for free.

Done forget these are GLASS items, even if they were used with biohazards, as long as they were thoroughly clean and sanitized, nothing can penetrate them. Why do you think they use glass to begin with?????

Just like getting moldy beer bottles and cleaning them with oxyclean, lots of hot water and then sanitizing them...same principle.

The only thing I've noticed is that after 10-20 years of use the pyrex DOES get brittle, and can't take thermal shock as well as new borosillicate glass. Be very careful if you try the direct fire method of boiling your wort on a stove in the flask. I've had two crack. One during the boil, making a stove mess, and one cracking during chilling and leaking over my stirplate.

If you know how old they are then if they are relatively young then that will be okay, but if they are old...then just boil in a pot, cool and put the cooled wort in the flask and pitch yeast.....

Ok thanks guys. The seller is supposed to get back to me tomorrow on shipping, but it looks like I can get a 2L Pyrex 5340 and another 1000L flask for 15 bucks plus shipping. Not bad.

Back