Safe to drill thru this old fridge wall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Reaction score
I recently moved, and the seller left his old beer fridge. Its pretty old but stays cold.
Before I drill a hole through the side for my CO2 line (I've got a 15 lb tank that will sit outside), I'm requesting advice on where the cooling lines are so I don't ruin the fridge.
Can anyone validate that the big aluminum plate above the top shelf is the cooling plate, and that the freon lines go through the back of the fridge? It looks like the lines come through the top from the freezer, then circulate through this plate. If thats the case, drilling through the left side where my red Kegconnection tank sits should be ok.
The fridge is a Gibson brand.
I've got an AHS Texas Red ready for a cool down, and an AHS Oatmeal Stout in the bucket ready for a keg in about a week.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Fridge.jpg

it looks to be safe, most of the vital components are rear mounted.

I would, before drilling, try to find a way to look or probe the area where you are going to drill. I could be mistaken but it looks like the inner side panels are removable.

When I drilled through the side of my fridge I very carefully drilled through the plastic inside first so I could probe around to see if their were any lines. You have to be careful as you are drilling or the plastic will catch the drill bit and pull if forward.

I too would drill the plastic to peek first, since you can always inject some expanding foam insulation or otherwise plug it back up.

Back