"Safe place" for exploding bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkory

Reaction score
After all this reading on bottle bombs, what do you all consider a safe place for bottles that you suspect might become bombs? Obviously these aren't going to be frag grenades, but I imagine they're a little more dangerous than a water balloon.

Right now I've got some that have been bottled and are packed away in 6 packs, in 3 trash bags, in a box. Call me paranoid but I don't want bottles exploding inside my truck somewhere between Texas and Michigan. In case the worst happens, I'll let you know she holds.

I have personally never had any bottle bombs, but I hear a lot of people on here put them in a rubbermaid tub with the lid on. Your bottles shouldnt blow up because of shaking them though. :mug:

Putting them in the fridge will help reduce risk of bottle bombs. Of course, only do this until after the beer is carbonated.

FYI, I believe the 16oz bottles and larger are stonger than the smallies. I have had some SERIOUS gushers from these bottles, where the cap was bloating. These were bottles that could NOT be opened indoors. Just saying for posterity (google searches).

Having over-primed before, I would mostly worry about eye injury. The glass shards travel fairly far, but a lair of cardboard is sufficient to stop them.

If you seriously think a layer of concrete is necessary, wouldn't it just be more advisable to trash the bottles before they fully carbonate?

Also, have you ever had experiences that would lead you to believe such measures are necessary for safety? Not one of my over-primed popping bottles pierced the cardboard box they were. A huge sticky mess to be sure, but no shards made it through.

we have a bomb disposal robot for this very purpose. He is the best beer pourer I have ever seen.

If you seriously think a layer of concrete is necessary, wouldn't it just be more advisable to trash the bottles before they fully carbonate?

Also, have you ever had experiences that would lead you to believe such measures are necessary for safety? Not one of my over-primed popping bottles pierced the cardboard box they were. A huge sticky mess to be sure, but no shards made it through.

Just when you think you are safe, thwap, shard to the temple. Oh no, my friend, this business is not for the faint of heart. The enemy is present, lurkng. Be on the lookout. Vigilance is the enemy of happenstance.

FYI, concrete may be not be necessary, of course. Kevlar is out there, as well as a whole lineup of resilient plastics. Be creative.

I think the best place for exploading bottles are for the back seat of the ******* neighbor who keeps parking in your space. hehe

I've never had a bottle bomb in the 5 years I've been brewing. But when I started I stored the bottles in large plastic containers with lids from the container store.

I have never had bottle bombs before and take every precaution to avoid em but one can never be too sure. So i put them in the tub in the guest bathroom and throw a towel over em for the first few weeks, after that they go in my beer closet.

Back