safbrew s33 for hefe weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfish63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How much of a difference will a safbrew s33 make in a hefe weizen? I thought I had the right yeast in the fridge but this was the closest I have.

Well, first off, it will cause it to no longer be a hefeweizen; it will now just be a wheat beer. Hefeweizens are defined in large part by the use of hefeweizen yeast. The S-33 will be very mild when it comes to esters, and you won't get many phenols, so say goodbye to any expectations of bananas or cloves. If you've ever had an american wheat, this is probably going to be close to that, depending on your grain bill.

Huge. That yeast is weird. I use it and you can get some funky stuff out of it at warmer temperatures. It is very distinctive, imho. But it will definitely NOT produce the phenols you are after. Personally I'd do something else unless you are trying to experiment. It would then be a Wheat beer.

bastardized American wheat it is then. I have too many empty kegs and a free day to brew. I really don't want to drive 68 miles one way to buy 2 packs of yeast. The only others I have are nottingham and coopers. I'll keep the ferm temps in the mid to low 60's and try to avoid extra weirdness. Thanks for the quick replies.

Would that yeast be good for a big beer? I think I have a package of it in my fridge and it expires at the end of the month.

slimer said:
Would that yeast be good for a big beer? I think I have a package of it in my fridge and it expires at the end of the month.

How big of a beer? 11.5% is the listed tolerance.

FWIW, 33 is an English ale yeast (the Edme strain from what I have read) so ignore all that trappist crap on Fermentis' website.

slimer said:

I have done a fairly significant beer on it before, but I had a cake of it.

I harvested the yeast from the Trappist Ale from Sprecher Brewery, so I think I'm set on trappist yeast for a little while.

I have the 11.5g package. Do you think I should make something else first?

I've never used this yeast before, so I don't know the characteristics. I've used their S-04, so I know what that flavor profile is.

Just pitch the S-33 into your 5g batch after rehydrating. I just brewed an american peach wheat with it about 2 weeks ago and it started and finished fermentation in < 30 hours...

Haven't racked it yet to get a taste, so can't comment on the characteristics of the yeast, but definitely isn't hefe or belgian yeast strain...

Latest posts

Back