Safale US05 yeast above 70 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttster

Reaction score
I've got my light american ale fermenting in a room temperature (72 degrees)environment. It started at OG 1.050 has been bubbling nicely with Safale US05. Seems like I bottled after a week last time, to good results but in searching here today folks seem to go more like three weeks, though at cooler temperatures.

Just wonder how long before it will be ready?

For the most part my beers don't go less than 2 weeks. The exception is some smaller beers that are done after a few days (notty is quick, 10 days if I'm impatient). For a 1.050 beer and US-05 I'd give it the full 2 weeks (start taking gravity readings around day 10). That gives the yeast plenty of time to ferment, and then clean up after itself.

It may stop bubbling short of a week, but that doesn't mean it's done. It still needs at least 4 days to clean up byproducts, especially from a warm fermentation like you've described.

65*F beer temp is ideal for US-05.

The ambient temp can govern how high the internal temp will go. So you could very well be looking at 74-78F internal. Get some stick-on temp strips for your fermenters,as they're the easiest way to tell internal temps. And your hydrometer is your friend here. Use it to tell OG's & when your beers are at a stable FG.

Yep, buying a fermometer opened my eyes. The first use of it, I was fermenting a Belgian Dubble in a 66 degree room. At high kraussen the fermometer read 78 degrees. I didn't brew again until I had a fermentation chamber.

I've got my light american ale fermenting in a room temperature (72 degrees)environment. It started at OG 1.050 has been bubbling nicely with Safale US05. Seems like I bottled after a week last time, to good results but in searching here today folks seem to go more like three weeks, though at cooler temperatures.

Just wonder how long before it will be ready?

For that small of a beer, you can probably bottle it 2-3 days after krausen drops with no ill effect, which will probably be 7-10 days in total.

And your hydrometer is your friend here. Use it to tell OG's & when your beers are at a stable FG.

+1 For bottling, absolutely use the hydrometer to know then the gravity is stable (check SG, then again 2 - 3 days later). If it's dropped, it's not finished. If you bottle before it's finished, you could get bottle bombs.

Yup. Had that happen with one batch early on. funny thing though...thy all cracked around the bottom 2" or so. Ran out the bottom to soak the box bottom as well. As if they had just enough pressure to crack around the bottom & run out?:pipe:

Back