SafAle T-58 in belgian wit, what temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
What fermentation temperature is most suitable when brewing a belgian wit with T-58?

Pitch at flame-out. Then it’ll die, and you can use a different yeast. (I don’t like T-58.)

If you’re sticking to dry yeasts, S-33 is nice for a wit, or you could try Lallemand Abbaye.

If you must use T-58, though, I’ve gotten ok results (I don’t like T-58) at 70 F.

T-58 is not a great yeast for a witbier, it will turn out pretty clear and not hazy, but if you want to try it, mid 60s F is a good place to start.

T58 was the yeast that came with the all grain kit so I will try it, but after what you've said I don't have high hopes for it.

Does it make a large krausen like wheat beer yeast?

Not that I noticed. My fermenter is opaque, though, so I can only go by the line of scum that you see after it is emptied.

I'm not sure T58 would be a great choice for a Belgian Wit, but generally speaking, I am a fan of that yeast. When I brew 10gal batches, sometimes I want a bit of variety so I split it into 2 fermentors and use T58 in one of them and in the other I use one of my usual go-to clean-tasting ale yeasts. I've got some really nice beers this way - for me, anway. I guess I can see how that type of yeast character is kind of a "love it or hate it" kind of thing.

Latest posts

Back