Sad day:local homebrew store is closing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabbs1228

Reaction score
I found out today that my local homebrew store has been forced to close its doors and go out of business. Bottom of the Barrel homebrew store is/was the only fully dedicated store for all things homebrew in the Lexington, KY area. Due to the lack of homebrewers in the area, I guess it just never fully funded itself. Chuck (the owner) and his son Jon really treated me like family and I learned so much from them. They built my very first automated brewery last year before I bit the bullet and designed a bigger, much more powerful brewery. I will miss going into the store every weekend to get grains, hops, and yeast to make the next best beer.

Cheers to you, www.bottombarrelbrew.com ! You are friends now and you won't be forgotten for everything that you did to help the homebrew community.

When I clicked on the link I get a pop up on the website that says "Coming Soon 2 Dudes Brewing", so maybe it has been sold and will reopen with new owners.

My nearest local store also went Tango Uniform. I've made peace with it, as $60 or more spent at morebeer.com gets me free shipping, fresher grains and none of the attitude and poor business practices my LHBS used to subject customers to.

When I clicked on the link I get a pop up on the website that says "Coming Soon 2 Dudes Brewing", so maybe it has been sold and will reopen with new owners.

They were thinking of opening a brewpub then but not sure about now.

I feel ya! I have a local LHBS that has been 15 minutes from my house for two years. Before it opened I had to ride 45 minutes to the nearest one. The owner just informed me he is selling (boo!) but it will remain open. We are organizing a brewclub also so we will still be in touch and actively brewing so I doubt much will change.

Hard to believe Lexington, KY has few home brewers. I guess they have more home distillers! Lol

It is sad but might be an opportunity to get some grain and equipment at a discounted price.

I feel ya! I have a local LHBS that has been 15 minutes from my house for two years. Before it opened I had to ride 45 minutes to the nearest one. The owner just informed me he is selling (boo!) but it will remain open. We are organizing a brewclub also so we will still be in touch and actively brewing so I doubt much will change.

Hard to believe Lexington, KY has few home brewers. I guess they have more home distillers! Lol

Well we do like our bourbon and moonshine. and pretty horses and fast women.

unfortunately it gets harder to support my LHBS because if I order online I can get twice as much for the same price with shipping included. I want to support my local place but my budget makes the final decision.

I hear ya. If Adventures In Homebrewing in Ann Arbor ever goes out of business, I'll be doing this number.......

Rage-Guy copy.jpg

unfortunately it gets harder to support my LHBS because if I order online I can get twice as much for the same price with shipping included. I want to support my local place but my budget makes the final decision.

A few months ago I went down to the beach house to find that a new LHBS had hung out a shingle in an off beach location. Too bad it's 400 miles from home, I loved the huge inventory they had. It was a Tuesday and I had the place to myself, but noticed they had 5 employees just hustling. Then it hit me...they're mostly doing internet sales! That's why they're competitive. That's why they had fresh ingredients.

Their prices were very reasonable too... so? If your LHBS isn't selling online at competitive prices, all of those fixed costs only get shared by local home brewers that patronize the store. Living where I live, that's such a small demographic my now defunct LHBS never made an effort to run a business.

He never answered the phone...I'd drive 14 miles round trip only to see a sign on the door, sorry, closed early today...Good riddance.

Fortunately my LHBS has been in business long before I started fermenting beverages. When I go there I get my questions answered and she asks questions that clarify what I need--valuable advice. Things cost more, but the cheerfulness and knowledge is really worth something. I do make some purchases online, I do price shop. Generally though, I get my grains and yeast locally. Even got some healthy hop rhizomes there after I failed to plant the mail order ones that withered.

Fortunately my LHBS has been in business long before I started fermenting beverages. When I go there I get my questions answered and she asks questions that clarify what I need--valuable advice. Things cost more, but the cheerfulness and knowledge is really worth something. I do make some purchases online, I do price shop. Generally though, I get my grains and yeast locally. Even got some healthy hop rhizomes there after I failed to plant the mail order ones that withered.

And I agree with you, Hoppy....the reason I was so fond of this place was because of the people and the information and guidance they provided. The items are available everywhere; the friendship and help is local.

Back