Sacc Troix in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBrad

Reaction score
I brewed a farmhouse beer with Imperials Rustic. White Labs Sacc Brett Troix arrived right before I left for vacation and instead of transferring to a secondary, I pitched it right into the primary. Gravity for the farmhouse at that time was 1.006.

Does anyone have experience doing this? The only time I have used this Brett strain is in the secondary.

It's a Sacc strain that was long mistaken for Brett. Never having used it, I don't know if it will provide anything to your brew in this situation like a true Brett strain would, but Trois is not Brett.

If it does contribute anything to your brew, there's no reason it would need to be added in secondary to do so. It should work out just fine added to the primary vessel.

You are talking about WLP644, right? It's Saccharomyces, not Brettanomyces.

Since it's already pretty dry, I'd be surprised if you get much or any flavor contribution.

If you want to add funk, you should pitch a Brett strain.

Cheers

I use it a lot. It has no Brett-like qualities, other than high attenuation. It’s a diastaticus strain, so it produces glucoamylase, which converts some normally unfermentable dextrins into sugar.

Back