Saaz Hops Plant Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnidons-Brewing

Reaction score
So, I got this Saaz plant from Troegs on Earth day. I planted it about 4-5 days later (not sure the exact planting date..... I got it on the Saturday they did it, and I planted it on one of my days off, which would be Wednesday or Thursday).

This is about the exact same size it looked in the can they gave it to me. (No instructions came with it, nothing. It was just the plant in a can, with some topsoil).

Earth day was ..... what, 4.22? So I planted it around 4.26-4.27? And it's now 5.17, and it looks pretty much the same (see picture).

I put a banana peel around it a few days ago (was told their great for roses, hops, and other plants as a fertilizer). Been watering it as regularly as my other hops (I have 3 nugget hops, 2 chinook, and 1 cascade, all doing perfectly fine). I've even tried bone meal.

I'm in Central PA, we're getting good weather. Sunny days, wet days, etc. No freezing days, no frost, etc.

Not sure what all I can do for it? Any help?

18578504_10209520102816219_259284541_n.jpg

All you can do is wait. Make sure the soil is watered regularly but allow it to drain in between. I dunno what the conditions are like in PA but hops tend to have preferred regions/conditions.

I've read that Saaz is pretty finicky. What have your temps been lately? It might just be waiting for it to warm up.

(Or it might just be that it's putting all its resources into establishing roots, and it'll be fine in time.)

Hopefully it'll start picking up soon then. Its 86 degrees here today, and its sitting in perfect sunlight right now. I watered it this morning. It rained pretty much all day Saturday and Sunday. Was nice and off/on sunny/cloudy Monday and yesterday was a beautiful day like today as well. So hopefully it will start perking up and growing. I'm not really expecting any yield out of it this year though.

I've read that Saaz is pretty finicky. What have your temps been lately? It might just be waiting for it to warm up.

(Or it might just be that it's putting all its resources into establishing roots, and it'll be fine in time.)

Is there a way to check its roots to see how its doing?

It looks like it's getting eaten up by pests too. Hops are pretty resilient so I'm sure it will make a comeback... just don't expect much out of it this season. There are much easier varieties to grow next year if Saaz doesn't work out.

Yea, luckily this was a free rhizome/plant from Troegs on Earth Day (last year they gave out Chinook, this year Saaz).

I have 2 chinook, 1 cascade, and 2 nuggets to go along with this. So I definitely have enough home-grown hops to be ok.

Just surprised by how this one was growing, I haven't had any problems with any of my other hops at all, and this just doesn't seem to be growing an inch (or even a centimeter).

There was a time when I tackled growing 2 crowns each of 14 varieties.

I was amazed at both how resilient, and how fickle the different varieties could be. Obviously the american varieties fared better than imports but the Oklahoma climate proved too harsh for even the most resilient plants and after a very long 5 years the last plant faded away and I was able to rip everything out and re-purpose the plot.

Much like owning a boat. My two happiest days of hop growing were the day I planted the first rhisomes, and the day I destroyed the last crown.

So, I got this Saaz plant from Troegs on Earth day. I planted it about 4-5 days later (not sure the exact planting date..... I got it on the Saturday they did it, and I planted it on one of my days off, which would be Wednesday or Thursday).

This is about the exact same size it looked in the can they gave it to me. (No instructions came with it, nothing. It was just the plant in a can, with some topsoil).

Earth day was ..... what, 4.22? So I planted it around 4.26-4.27? And it's now 5.17, and it looks pretty much the same (see picture).

I put a banana peel around it a few days ago (was told their great for roses, hops, and other plants as a fertilizer). Been watering it as regularly as my other hops (I have 3 nugget hops, 2 chinook, and 1 cascade, all doing perfectly fine). I've even tried bone meal.

I'm in Central PA, we're getting good weather. Sunny days, wet days, etc. No freezing days, no frost, etc.

Not sure what all I can do for it? Any help?

View attachment 400825

There was a time when I tackled growing 2 crowns each of 14 varieties.

I was amazed at both how resilient, and how fickle the different varieties could be. Obviously the american varieties fared better than imports but the Oklahoma climate proved too harsh for even the most resilient plants and after a very long 5 years the last plant faded away and I was able to rip everything out and re-purpose the plot.

Much like owning a boat. My two happiest days of hop growing were the day I planted the first rhisomes, and the day I destroyed the last crown.
I’ve got Sterlings that do well in OKC.

Back