S23. Dopplebock. One or two packs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
Just tried my first lagers. A Vienna and a double bock this weekend. Both with one pack of S23 dry at 55’. The Vienna is looking great but the D-bock looks dead after the same time frame since pitching. From some searches it seems S23 is not a fav around here and I might need another pack in the bock? I for long just assumed u only need one pack for any 5 gal batch and the yeast would just multiply on their own to an appropriate size colony

Just tried my first lagers. A Vienna and a double bock this weekend. Both with one pack of S23 dry at 55’. The Vienna is looking great but the D-bock looks dead after the same time frame since pitching. From some searches it seems S23 is not a fav around here and I might need another pack in the bock? I for long just assumed u only need one pack for any 5 gal batch and the yeast would just multiply on their own to an appropriate size colony

For a 5 gal lager, I'd typically use 2 packs of dry lager yeast. For something as high in OG as a dopplebock, I might even go to 3 packs. Lagers require more yeast than ales. I generally brew 10 gal batches of normal-gravity lagers (pils, Ofest, schwarzbier, etc) and for a 10 gallon batch, I'll use 4 packs of yeast, sometimes 5.

I've only used S23 once [I prefer the taste profile of SafLager W-34/70], so I can't talk specifically to that strain, but in general I think 1 pack in 5 gallons is underpitching a lager.

Sounds like I need 3 more packs. I do have some 34/70 but assumed more for a pilsner. Can these be blended?
I was planning to primary about 30 days but guess one package isn’t going to get there even after a month?

S-23 is great is darker lagers where it the esters compliment the roast/caramel flavors. I am not a fan of it in light lagers.

I always use 2 packs, rehydrated, in my 5-gallon lager batches.

I’m gonna let the Vienna ride since krausen looks great and happed quick.

The Dopple was brewed Monday and dry pitched Monday night or Tuesday at 6am...gezz I can’t even remember 2 days ago....well I did do 3 beers this past weekend...lol

I have one spare S23 I’ll toss in when I get home...unless it’s kicking by then and may not help at that point? Or will it still help if ferm has already started?

I have one spare S23 I’ll toss in when I get home...unless it’s kicking by then and may not help at that point? Or will it still help if ferm has already started?

I'd recommend rehydrating the pack of S23 and throwing it in.

IMG_3661.JPG
IMG_3660.JPG
IMG_3659.JPG
as of 5pm today. Brewed 2 days apart. Same yeast

OG 1.088 on dopplebock and it’s fermenting but pitched another S23 since the gravity is a little higher than predicted

Last edited:
IMG_3662.JPG
6am, 12 hrs post second pitch. Can S23 handle 1.088? This might be close to 9%

Yep. Was just there checking it out. Looks like I’m good. I kinda wonder if just the one pack would’ve been ok. Well better safe than sorry. I didn’t notice any difference between the 23 & 34/70...I’ll have to check brulosophy

Yep. Was just there checking it out. Looks like I’m good. I kinda wonder if just the one pack would’ve been ok. Well better safe than sorry. I didn’t notice any difference between the 23 & 34/70...I’ll have to check brulosophy

Report back once the beer are done!

Kegged them today after 4 weeks in primary. Vienna started at 1.052 to 1.010. Dopplebock 1.088 to 1.20. Will lager a few weeks at 40

Does either need to ferment longer? Or will it continue slowly at 40’?

Nope. 50’ the whole time. The FG of both seems to be in line with what I’ve found as expected for the styles

I did a Salvatorbier this weekend. Attempted a decoction mash. OG was 1.080. Used 3 packs of S-23

Ingredients:
15 lbs Munich malt
5 oz Saaz (2oz @ 30min, 3oz @10min)

30 minute boil

Fermenting @ 50 deg will ramp to 60 in ~10 days then lager for 3 months.

I will keep you posted on results.

Note: Did not have another large pot so I had to break decoction between three smaller pots.
decoction.jpg

The Vienna keg finally blew tonight. Just tapped the dopplebock yesterday. The color was a lot lighter than it looked in the fermenter. Forgot to take pictures and I’m done drinking tonight.

Ok some pics with and without light. I thought it would be darker but the taste is about what I expected...8.9%

Latest posts

Back