S-33 halted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siman

Reaction score
Hey!

I made 23L batch of coopers Brew *A* http://coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/strong/detail/brew-a/ changed yeast to S-33 with starter.
My garage was at 15C / 59f and it seemed fine from checking s-33 profile, everything went fine until about 72h when bubbling and foaming stopped.. it did hit max 63f for one full day.
Checked gravity at day 4 and it was 1.020 ( started at about 1.065 ). moved fermenter back to house 20-21C and shaked it abit.. didnt show any life yet after 3 days and it looks halted completely.
Is this normal with S-33 and what should i do? just bottle it?

As a word of warning -

S33 will ferment through fast, and then will SLOWLY wind it's way down to final gravity over a month or so. If you're at 1.020 now, in a month it'll be 1.014-13 or less. S33 takes forever to finally drop out after it's initial run.

If you bottle now, you'll be massively overcarbed when you go to enjoy one in a month, and pour nothing but foam with a little beer.

My advice is to just stash it somewhere relatively warm for a month, and then come back to it.

I recall getting 65-70% attenuation with S-33 the last time I used it. It took off like a rocket, finishing a 1.045 beer in about 30 hours. Previous uses were fairly low attenuation, as well.

I would swirl it, and keep at room temp for a few more days prior to bottling. I routinely go 10 days to 14 days before bottling, just to give the yeast a bit more time to clean up.

ok thx for replyes. swirled it now few times, will leave it room temp for few weeks and check again whats up. Starting at 1.065 and ending at 1.020 wouldnt be that bad if its normal for s-33

I've had it stall and restart after being quiet for a week. Think it took a month total to finally finish.

I've had it stall and restart after being quiet for a week. Think it took a month total to finally finish.

Another good reason to keep the beer in the fermenter for an extra week or two. And hey, OP is already at 70%, sounds about right for the yeast.

Latest posts

Back