RyePA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I already brewed this but wanted to see what people think of the recipe.

10lb 2row
1lb Rye malt
4oz Honey malt
4oz c120

1oz centennial 60min
.5oz. Chinook 20
.5oz. Amarillo 15
.5oz. Chinook 10
.5oz. Amarillo 5
1oz. Amarillo 0

Mash 154
OG 1.059
51 ibu

Wyeast British ale 2

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds good to me. Let us know how it turns out.
Cheers :mug:

Looks pretty good.

I'd drop the crystal 120 in favor of 60 or less and increase the rye percentage. I like 15-20% for my rye pale ales and IPAs

Looks pretty good.

I'd drop the crystal 120 in favor of 60 or less and increase the rye percentage. I like 15-20% for my rye pale ales and IPAs

I usually do 2lbs in my ryes and wanted to bring it down on this one so I get the flavor from the honey malt without going over board with to much of it, I'm new to honey malt an hear its easy to over do. If this turns out I'll probably bump the rye up next time.

I chose 120 because I wanted to get a little more color in the beer while keeping the crystal malt to a minimum. Depending on he final color of the beer I may try your suggestion on that as well.

Looks delicious, but what about the dry hop? I'd suggest an ounce or two of Simcoe.

Sent from my quilt using needlepoint

I am still considering a dry hop but I'm not a huge fan of doing it. I like the taste and smell but I'm afraid it will plug my dip tube in my keg with hops.

I am still considering a dry hop but I'm not a huge fan of doing it. I like the taste and smell but I'm afraid it will plug my dip tube in my keg with hops.

So bundle them in a hop sock. Or add them to the primary fermenter and leave them behind when racking to the keg. Or rack the beer to a secondary carboy, leaving the yeast and sediment behind, and add the dry hops there.

Frankly, if you don't add any dry hops at all, you can't call it an IPA. ;)

Sent from space using NASA's Deep Space Network

So bundle them in a hop sock. Or add them to the primary fermenter and leave them behind when racking to the keg. Or rack the beer to a secondary carboy, leaving the yeast and sediment behind, and add the dry hops there.

Frankly, if you don't add any dry hops at all, you can't call it an IPA. ;)

Sent from space using NASA's Deep Space Network

Lol, ok tell ya what I'll dry hop an ounce of chinook or Amarillo cause that's what I have left but I'll let you choose.

Latest posts

Back