Rye Saison stuck at 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abarhan

Reaction score
I have a Imp. Rye Saison that had an OG of 1.080 pitched WLP568 after a 1L starter back when I brewed it in March. It made it to 1.020 and stopped in a week or so and hasn't budged. I had to rack it to a keg after about a month in primary so I could make a cross country move. About a month ago I pitched a WLP644 BRETTANOMYCES BRUXELLENSIS TROIS in hopes to bring it down to a drier 1.010 or less. It has great flavor just too sweet yet. Any ideas or tips?

Doesn't Brett take a while to work? I've never used it, so I can't really comment on that. But if you want it dried out pretty quick, an active starter of Wy3711 will take it down into the single digits.

That's a long way to go for Brett as a secondary pitch, it's going to be months before it can get to 1.010 or lower. I would pitch some 3711 as well to help it along.

What was your mash temp?

Bean-o could break down those longer sugar chains but it might take you down to zero. You'd also have bean-o in your beer.

Could try champagne yeast, I have tried that with minimal success in the past. Again, you'd have champagne yeast in your beer.

Sorry about the delay, haven't checked HBT in a while. Put in some amylase on 7/6 and still hovering near 1.020. I decided to just carb it and maybe it will be drinkable although its sweet. I was surprised the amylase didn't drop it at all. I am thinking it was a combination of the yeast being beyond its limit and a mash to hot. Below is the recipe, I had the scale in the wrong setting so it turned into a huge beer by accident. Kind of a newb mistake, I thought as I filled up the mill that it was a **** ton of grain... I decided to roll with it and when I measured the OG it was crazy high, like 98% eff. Thats when I noticed something was up for sure. Went to the scale to check and sure enough. Well I put that behind me and have brewed some good ones since, I just can seem to bring my self to dump a keg. When I need space if not drinkable it will have to go. Lesson learned.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.37 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.162 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 98.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 117.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes