RYe-P.A. question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swem

Reaction score
I have never brewed a beer with rye but I have intentions of it very soon. I had sierra nevadas ruthless rye as well as some others, and I really like what the rye does to accentuate the fruity hop characteristics. I have heard that It can be a bit of a pain to work with as it gets doughy, thats not a real big issue for me as im doing biab and not worried about a stuck sparge. Im wondering what percentage of rye to base 2 row would be optimal. Im sure that is, like anything else, up to the brewer, but what have you all had experience with?

Denny Conn's "Wry Smile" RyePA is 17% rye, I'd be comfortable using that as a guideline given the popularity of that beer and the reputation of Mr. Conn.

I think rye malt is a little bit smaller than barley so if you can, try and mill it a little tighter. Maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've done in the 20-29% range with various styles with good success. A pale I did with just about 15% didn't seem perceivable to me. I have one on tap right now with 22% rye malt and 7.5% flaked rye - definitely noticeable, sharp rye contribution but in a good way. Pairs beautifully with sorachi ace IMO but I should have made this one for the summer.

I use 15% flaked rye in my Rye P.A. but have used both flaked and malted and as much as 25%. I like the flaked rye better, but I think I might end up with a blend of some sort when i am done playing with that recipe.

Back