Rye lawnmower ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benflath

Reaction score
Hi all! Working on something for the summer heat and could use some advice. I want to keep it simple, clean, low bitterness, low ABV, and obviously delicious. First draft is below. For a 5 gal batch.

Grain:
9 lbs - Pils
2.5 lbs - Flaked Rye (or rye malt?)
0.5 lbs - White Wheat
X lbs - Rice Hulls

Hops:
1 oz - Willamette @ 60min
0.5 oz - Citra (or Amarillo? or both?) @ 10 min
0.5 oz - Citra (or Amarillo? or both?) @ 5 min

Yeast:
American Ale II (on hand from prev batches) OR WL Cream Ale blend?

I've used the cream ale yeast before with good success, but not sure how it will play with the rye. Also, with my schedule, American Ale would finish quickly enough to have this ready by 4th of July, where Cream Ale might not.

I welcome all comments, this recipe so far is a shot in the dark.

Hey there , I am checking out your recipe as I am brewing a Rye IPA right now. I don't have much input on the grain bill as I mostly do extract but my rye beers are about 20% rye as well.

As for the hops, I am using cascade because it's my go to IPA hop mixed with saaz to accentuate the rye spiciness. For your recipe, if you are set to use williamette as a bitter, I'd use 3 oz-ish. 1 oz @ 60 and the rest 30 or less. Citra and Amarillo are potent and fruity, which is fine if that's what you want. If you don't want to have a lot of bitterness or fruit, williamette is cheap and easy so I'd single hop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm really not going for an IPA with this one; my target IBU is around 30. I thought about Willamette because it's got that old-world charm that I think will meld well with the pils and the rye, but gracefully bow out for the fruit punch aftertaste from the other hops... and other silly adjectives.

I like cascade, it's in all my IPAs, but it's just too aggressive for what I'm going for with this one.

Not a popular beer type, I guess? I've got a couple of weeks until I can brew it, so we'll see if I change my mind before then.

I think a small beer would benefit from more rye than that, but it's a matter of taste. Then again, I don't know what your efficiency/target OG is or desired FG, but that could wind up a 6.5% beer, depending, which isn't so lawnmowery.

Willamette is a good choice.

Well I got busy and am only now getting around to brewing this on Saturday. Made some changes to the recipe. Thoughts?

Grain:
7.5 lbs - Pils
3 lbs - Flaked Rye (or rye malt?)
0.5 lbs - White Wheat
X lbs - Rice Hulls

Hops:
1 oz - Willamette @ 60min
0.5 oz - Citra @ 10 min
0.5 oz - Amarillo @ 5 min

Yeast:
WL Cream Ale

Mash:
60 min @ 150 F

Yup,looks good,but I hate your 60 minute addition.
My house ale is 30% rye malt,60 plis and some crystal/sugar.
I would say that a mix if Citra and Amarillo as FWH and some more at 15 would be fantastic

Brewed this almost 3 weeks ago. Came in a bit under gravity, but oh well. Tasted a bit when I transferred to secondary last weekend and it was pretty good! My basement fermentation room has been keeping the beer just around 68, and the cream ale yeasts have nearly finished their job. Hopefully I can get it bottled and carbed just in time for Labor Day and the end of summer!

Maybe I should brew summer ales in spring next year...

Back