Rye IPA is next but howto w extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBUDGO

Reaction score
This will be my 3rd batch. Scored twice so far :mug: but now I want to make a Rye IPA. Any suggestions an what to add and when?
Thanks

If im not mistaken Norther Brewer has Rye extract. I'm fairly new as well, maybe a partial mash would work as well?

Yes, Northern Brewer carries Rye LME. It is pretty new so I doubt that there are any extract recipes for Rye beers out there. You could take an all grain recipe and convert to extract.

The conversion formula from my notes: 1lb grain = .73lbs LME/.60lbs DME
I think that formula is correct.
Good Luck!

p.s. the slash (/) does not mean "divided by":D

If you want to do an extract rye beer, I just saw today that Northern Brewer has a kit for a rye beer using their rye extract. Otherwise, you'd have to mash rye. I love rye beers, especially rye pale ales and IPAs, so I'd definitely encourage you to do it!

A partial mash?? What's that? And where in the process would I use i?
Thanks

Partial mash/mini mash is using extract AND grains. You basically "mash" the grain in a muslin bag at 155ish on the stove or in you're brew pot for about an hour, then pour hot water (170*) through the bag of grains and add it to you're wort. There is a great sticky here about it with pictures. Search for "mini mash", "partial mash" or "BIAB" and you should be able to find it pretty easily. It gives you better control over the flavors of grains you want in you're beers. :) Would like to hear how it turns out if you succeed!

inhousebrew, that's what I get for doing absolutely no research.:D

I love Rye beers. I brewed Denny's Rye IPA before I got my water chemistry dialed in and it tasted "blah" as in not much taste. I will be brewing that one again. I have 10lbs of Rye grain that is burning a hole in my pocket.

inhousebrew, that's what I get for doing absolutely no research.:D

I love Rye beers. I brewed Denny's Rye IPA before I got my water chemistry dialed in and it tasted "blah" as in not much taste. I will be brewing that one again. I have 10lbs of Rye grain that is burning a hole in my pocket.

That was my first all grain kit and I really loved it. However, I upped the rye slightly and think I dryhopped with a bit more but it was good.

I purchased NB's Denny's Rye Extract kit. Can't wait. I hope to brew this weekend. While my wife's away and I have the kitchen available to mess up.:D

Is NB for real with those shipping fees??!! Ouch dude.

Back