Ruthless Rye Clone Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radobrewer

Reaction score
I can't find Bravo hops locally for my bittering hop. What can I substitute for this? My LHBS gave me Palisades, but I don't think the alpha is high enough. The other hops in the recipe are Magnum and Chinook for flavoring and Magnum/Chinook/Citra dry hop.

Any help is appreciated. :tank:

I just enjoyed a Ruthless Rye tonight. Good beer to try and clone. My suggestion would be to sub the Bravo with Warrior as the bittering hop. I'm actually going to brew something like this doing that. My next rye recipe on deck is Denny's.

You could also just use your Magnum for bittering as well. Matching the AA% (or adjusting the amount used based on AA%) is more important in a bittering addition than the hop type.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the Warrior I have on hand will match the Bravo's 16% AA, so I'll give that a go.

Hey good luck - is this the BYO recipe? Made that with a buddy last fall and it was pretty spectacular. Right on target. People raved about it. We have to brew that one again!

Yep, it's the BYO recipe. The Warrior addition and using US-05 instead of Wyeast 1056 are the only deviations. I know Ruthless pretty well, so it'll be interesting to see how it matches up with these changes.

Latest posts

Back