Rusty weld fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
While upgrading my setup I decided to have all of my couplings welded on my keggles. I took them to an actual weld shop thinking they was professional, big mistake! I got them back the outside looked good but the inside looked terrible. I tried to clean them the best I could, a week latter and rust was forming on all of the inside welds.
My fix:
I used CLR and a toothbrush to clean off all of the rust, and it even cleaned up the welds some what. Next I covered all of the welds with food grade silicone adhesive (aka aquarium adhesive). The bad welds sealed and will be deprived of oxygen and then it wouldn't be able to oxidize and rust. This should work right?

you need to passivate the steel to get it back to "stainless" status.

This happened with my welds, too.

What I did was go buy a stainless steel wire brush (must be STAINLESS wire, and not carbon steel) and scrub the crap out of it. Then make a paste with barkeeper's friend and water and smear it all over the welds and let it sit for an hour or so. Then rinse it clean. You might have to repeat this a couple of times, but the rust will be gone and won't return.

edit: You'll have to get that silicon off to do this, obviously. :D

edit 2: no idea if what you did will hold up well or not.

I only done this to my mlt so far. I will try what you said tonight on my BK. I am doing a batch tomorrow so I will have to fix my HLT next week and besides that one is going to be a pain (it has my HERMS coil in it and I'll have to take it out).
Thanks for the reply.

Back