Rustic Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewvet

Reaction score
After 5 years away from brewing decided to get back into it with a vengeance. After starting small (coopers kit), and then moving up to All Grain using a propane burner and various Coleman Mash tuns I decided when I returned I would make my life a little simpler, but also make my wallet a LOT less full :(.

So I purchased a Brew Boss 15 Gallon system from another user on this forum, then did my research on venting, installing a 240 volt GFCI etc. Got that completed and then remembered how much I hated bottling, and didn't want to repeat that again. So decided on kegging, first looked at a commercial type kegerator and then read about 'Keezers', so here I am.

The keezer I decided on needed to appeal to the wife, of course and sense we live in a log home I wanted it to look rustic. First looked at barn wood, but found it hard to find and expensive. Then stumbled upon a 'barn wood' looking reproduction '1x6' from HD.

Found a good price at Sams on a Haier 7.2 Cu Ft Freezer, at $159.00.

Built the frame from 2 x 4's, installed casters underneath and then installed the 1 X 6's over it. Made the frame stick up 5/8 taller then the top of the freezer lid. Cut a piece of 3/5 MDF to fit the freezer lid which also levels the top with the frame. Glued the MDF on using Liquid Nails. Then used the 1 X 6's to cover the 2x4 frame. Once the 1x6's were installed I used some poly on the top to seal the wood.

For the Taps I wanted to go with the pipe look as I have seen others do, but didn't want to use black pipe. So I purchased some 1-1/4 galvanized pipe and then found a Rustoleum 'Rustic Amber' spray paint which gives the pipes a 'Rusty' look.

The guts of the system are from Keg Connection, and the temperature controller is from Inkbird.

I think it came out pretty good.

Still need to decide on some tap handles.

image1-4.JPG

image3-3.JPG

image2-4.JPG

Thanks guys..Now I just got to get the Brew Boss started.. Gonna make my first batch Friday, Hefeweizen.

Question and I know it's been beat to death here but here goes anyways: Any problem putting a 5 Gallon batch into my Brewhemoth conical (22 Gal)?

I understand it should not be a problem, but wanna ask anyways.

Question and I know it's been beat to death here but here goes anyways: Any problem putting a 5 Gallon batch into my Brewhemoth conical (22 Gal)?
I understand it should not be a problem, but wanna ask anyways.
I don't think so...you certainly won't have any headspace/blow-off issues! Ed
:mug:

Hey Brewvet! Looks great man!

One quick question, on your brew towers, what's the specs on the reducers that you mounted the faucet shanks on? Did the shanks adapt to the reducer or did you have to do a mod on them?

Cheers man!

Hey Brewvet! Looks great man!

One quick question, on your brew towers, what's the specs on the reducers that you mounted the faucet shanks on? Did the shanks adapt to the reducer or did you have to do a mod on them?

Cheers man!

The reducers are 1-1/4 to 3/4 inch. The shanks I bought were from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00829HNWE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. The shanks push through the adapter, they don't thread on, and you put the nut on from the inside which holds them in place on the lip inside the reducer. This was the hardest part, had to get creative with some needlenose plier's to get them tight. But once you have them in it works great.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done, I'm digging the rustic look. Are those CMB faucets?

Yep CMB V3 faucets. Haven't used them yet, waiting for my Hefeweizen to finish in the fermenter, should be ready to keg next week. Also scored a free keg of beer from the local brewery where my daughter volunteers. Should be testing them in a week or so.

Also the brewery has offered to sell me all the grain I want at their cost. :ban:

The reducers are 1-1/4 to 3/4 inch. The shanks I bought were from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00829HNWE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. The shanks push through the adapter, they don't thread on, and you put the nut on from the inside which holds them in place on the lip inside the reducer. This was the hardest part, had to get creative with some needlenose plier's to get them tight. But once you have them in it works great.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a look. Once again, excellent job!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back