Rust in stainless kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr0ker

Reaction score
While heating my strike water I found some sediment in the kettle that looks like rust to me. No biggie, water tastes fine, but im obviously not pouring this into the mash tun.

Im guessing this came from the ro water machine I get my water from (serviced 1/6). Anyone else seen sediment like this?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

1390141368738.jpg

Could just be brown baked on sugary crud form brewdays past. Ive seen something similar inmy SS kettles and it scrubs right off.

Looks like a little brew crud. Soak it for a while with some 1-step or equiv and I'm guessing it comes off.

If you have used a steel wool pad (Brillo, SOS) to clean the kettle it could be rust from particles of steel from the pad lodged in the surface of the SS. If rust use a mild abrasive acidic cleaner like Bar Keepers Friend with a plastic mesh scrubbing pad and if you have used a steel wool pad don't do it any more. It could be beerstone, Calcium oxalate, in which case the acidic cleaner and plastic pad will also help.

Back