Running stir plate on adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
Do any of you know (maybe electricians :)) if it's safe to run a 220v stir plate on a 110 adapter all of the time?

Thanks!

So long as the size of the adapter/transformer can handle the power requirements of the device and outputs 220vac, you should be fine. Given the minimal power requirements of stir plates, I can't imagine commonly available 110vac to 220vac adapters being too small.

Also make sure the prong configuration of the stir plate's plug matches that of the adapter's socket. Many travel adapters will accept multiple configurations.

Thanks! The reason I ask is that the lhbs by us is going to be selling stir plates that are 220v. They ordered them by mistake and said they were going to sell them with an adapter. I'm still debating on if it's safe to leave these things running on an adapter straight for 24 hrs. I've used them when I went overseas, but it wasn't for anything continuous like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I also got the 220 volt stir plate at my lhbs and the adapter that came with it. The problem is that the lower voltage will not create even the slightest votex on a fairly large starter. So is there a way to modify this for 110v that wouldn't be as expensive as just buying the 110v stir plate? Thank you.

Bump. Any electricians out there that could help me with this? I tried to do a search on converting this to 110 but I have not found anything. Any ideas or opinions would be really helpful. Thank you.:mug:

Bump. Any electricians out there that could help me with this? I tried to do a search on converting this to 110 but I have not found anything. Any ideas or opinions would be really helpful. Thank you.:mug:

Did you happen to go to Texas brewing? That's where they had them around me. I didn't get one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It sounds like they gave you a simple plug adapter rather than what I assumed would be a voltage converting adapter and the stir plate is running off of straight 110vac (i.e. not good). What you need is a travel adapter that will convert the 110vac coming out of the wall to 220vac (a.k.a. step-up transformer). Unfortunately, these are less common here than 220vac to 110vac adapters that U.S. travelers need while traveling to Europe, Australia, etc.

It looks like Fry's Electronics has a few "reverse" travel transformers in stock (e.g. Travel Smart Reverse 50-Watt Transformer, #7189752, $13.99) that should work for you. The one referenced looks like it has an ungrounded EU socket (two round prongs), so make sure the stir plate's plug mates with this.

Update: It looks like Fry's also has a cheaper one to consider: Blackpoint 50Watt Voltage Converter, #2508451, for $7.95. Both appear to be in stock at the Irving store.

Hope this helps!

Thank you all for replying to this. This helps a ton. I did get it as stubbys on black friday. I like the stir plate because it's really sturdy. So you guy don't think I run a risk of a fire by using the travel converter over a long period right?

I think you do indeed run the risk of fire if you're running a 220vac stir plate motor on 110vac power using a simple plug adapter! If it's spinning too slow, the motor is likely running on 110vac and in danger of over heating or burning up.

If you use a step-up transformer that converts 110vac to 220vac as mentioned above, then no there should not be a problem with long term use since the motor is actually running at its rated voltage.

If you're unsure and want to sleep better while stirring-up your yeast, pick up a cheap digital multimeter from Harbor Freight such as item#98025 (currently on sale for ~$5). It should work long enough for you to test the voltage at the socket for approx. 220VAC. There should also be a label on the plate indicating the acceptable voltage range. BTW, make sure you plug the meter's probes into the correct sockets and set the meter to the 750 ACV range before testing.

Back