Fitting help.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart Taylor

Reaction score
This is my new "soon to be" fermenter. If you see the TC with the dip tube that's what I want to adapt to. In other words I want to cut it off and adapt an FST (floaty sucky thingy) to it. It is 316 stainless with a 3/4" OD. Any thoughts on a fitting that is a clean way to do this. I can solder or have it welded or? The more sanitary the better but if it can come apart for cleaning that is ok.

I know that I can buy a TC cap with all the fittings but I'm checking my options. The extra cap with the dip tube was free so its worth some time to see if I can use it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20230526_011111132.jpg
    PXL_20230526_011111132.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
FST (floaty sucky thingy)
A what? More detail needed.

Off the top, that looks like something Nor Cal might have made. They could have options, or can make something. Brewhardware also does custom work.

Tube adapter to NPT is a common fitting, could do what you need. Maybe some tubing can just stretch over the existing pipe that's left behind after a cut?

Perhaps put a hole down low and a spigot to do what you need?

Looks like hefty tubing...if you really want to use that part and you know a welder; cut the whole tube out (both sides), get a SS washer that'll cover the hole and a SS hose-splicer to weld in the center of the washer. If I had a TIG welder that's what I'd do.

If you are trying to use a floating dip tube then why not just cut the long stainless tube down leaving 1/2-3/4 of an inch left on the lid and then use some 1/2 silicone tube to connect a 1/2 to 1/4 reducer to connect to the presumably 1/4 inch floating dip tube?
If you’re trying to do something else maybe more of an explanation would help.
Good luck looks like a really nice fermenter.

A what? More detail needed.

Off the top, that looks like something Nor Cal might have made. They could have options, or can make something. Brewhardware also does custom work.

Tube adapter to NPT is a common fitting, could do what you need. Maybe some tubing can just stretch over the existing pipe that's left behind after a cut?

Perhaps put a hole down low and a spigot to do what you need?
A floating dip tube.

Really looking for something relatively clean to make the transition. I've found stuff smaller but not for 3/4.

If you are trying to use a floating dip tube then why not just cut the long stainless tube down leaving 1/2-3/4 of an inch left on the lid and then use some 1/2 silicone tube to connect a 1/2 to 1/4 reducer to connect to the presumably 1/4 inch floating dip tube?
If you’re trying to do something else maybe more of an explanation would help.
Good luck looks like a really nice fermenter.
That's what I'm doing, hoping to find a cleaner way to make the transition

Looks like hefty tubing...if you really want to use that part and you know a welder; cut the whole tube out (both sides), get a SS washer that'll cover the hole and a SS hose-splicer to weld in the center of the washer. If I had a TIG welder that's what I'd do.
I'll look into that. I have access to Tig welding

Back