Rule of Thumb: Mashed Grain to DME Ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehouse

Reaction score
Probably a tough question to answer, but what is the general rule of thumb of grain to DME to get equivalent fementable sugars? I'm guessing it is around 3:1grain to DME. Figure on a crappy efficiency of 50 to 60%. I suppose it also depends on the type of barley malt, but what about a regular English 2 row. Thanks, I'm sure this must have been discussed before but I can't find it.

I just ran it through pro mash and at 60 percent efficiency I get 2 pounds of grain to equal 1 pound of DME. at 75 percent efficiency it shows about 1.6 pounds of grain to equal 1 pound of DME.

2-row is 1.037 and DME is 1.042.
So at 60% it would be .042/.022 or 1.9lbs to = 1lb.
At 50% it would be .042/.0185 or 2.27lbs to =1lb of DME.

Thanks for the info. It is nice to get really usuable information on a Web Board. I'm going to figure a ratio between 2 and 2.5 lbs of grain being equivalent to 1 lb of DME. If I manage to get better efficiency with my Homer Simpson Mashing Method, it will just be gravy. I'm always happy with a little higher SG than a lower one.

treehouse said:
Thanks for the info. It is nice to get really usuable information on a Web Board. I'm going to figure a ratio between 2 and 2.5 lbs of grain being equivalent to 1 lb of DME. If I manage to get better efficiency with my Homer Simpson Mashing Method, it will just be gravy. I'm always happy with a little higher SG than a lower one.
That should work. If you overshoot the gravity a bit you can leave it alone or if you need it to be dead on just add a bit of water.

Latest posts

Back