Ruined batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateSpringfield

Reaction score
Not a new brewer but figured I could get my answer here quickest.

I use a homemade hop spider that uses a 3" to 2" cpvc reducer. It fell into my boil last night. It could have been in there for up to 20 minutes based on when I checked the kettle. Should I dismiss the beer in fear of chemical contamination or should I be okay? I went ahead and finished up the batch like nothing went wrong so it is fermenting now but want to know if anyone else has had experience w/ such a problem.

I know plenty of people use cpvc manifolds in their mashtuns and they're safe for those temps. Boiling though, I don't know. Did it taste funny?

whats the melting temperature of that type of plastic? I guess it could still leech chemicals regardless when submersed in slighltly acidic boiling wort.

mlg5039 said:
I know plenty of people use cpvc manifolds in their mashtuns and they're safe for those temps. Boiling though, I don't know. Did it taste funny?

I didn't taste anything that made me think there was a problem. I know at mash temps it's okay, but the boiling temps make me worry a little.

Back