Rubbery taste ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobb25

Reaction score
Yesterday I transferred my California Ale from the fermenting conical to a keg, and placed it into the Keezer. I know the beer hasn't carbonated yet, but I always take a sample for tasting. I was dismayed to have , what I can best describe, as a taste of rubber. Any idea what can have gone wrong?

Does your water have chlorine or did you use chlorine to clean/sanitize?

could unwanted yeast be harboring in a valve or crevice somewhere in your fermenter, a transfer hose, etc?

could your sparge process (pH maybe) be suspect?

What is your fermenter made of?

did you chill? Or no-chill in a new jug?

did you repitch yeast or start new. Dry or liquid? Starter?

Last edited:
All good questions.
Water is DI, so no chlorine
Fastferment chronicle, completely disassembled and sanitized.
Some kind of plastic ?
Fermentation stayed at about 74 deg. F
With new Wyeast 2112, that I was afraid may have gotten a little warm during a July delivery, so I did a starter, and fermentation started off fairly quickly.

From the similar posts located below it seems the answer is a Yeast by product that is caused by sulfur. From the reading below it appears it will go away with time.

Good luck!

:mug:

My WLP-001 California yeast got too hot when I plugged the hot pad into the cold outlet of my temp controller. I discovered the problem but not before it hit 85F. Lots of hops saved the brew, or so I told myself. I tried salvaging a sample of the yeast and growing it up with a large stater but the yeast's offspring couldn't quiet manage without making everything taste like a rubber stopper in a dirty sock.

Hot yeast won't forgive you....

All good questions.
Water is DI, so no chlorine
Fastferment chronicle, completely disassembled and sanitized.
Some kind of plastic ?
Fermentation stayed at about 74 deg. F
With new Wyeast 2112, that I was afraid may have gotten a little warm during a July delivery, so I did a starter, and fermentation started off fairly quickly.

all good answers. You’ve tapped me out on ideas.

🤷‍♂️ maybe the shipping heat got to it.

Back