Rubbery substance in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H20ENG

Reaction score
Brewed a pale with honey malt, S-04, and amylase enzymes to dry it a bit. Just racked to keg and when cleaning the fermenter found these rubbery, light brown chunks maybe 1-2" long. They're like firm seaweed or maybe a soft succulent plant stiffness.
I have never seen these before. The only new thing in my process is the enzyme- around a tbsp in 5g. Beer is great so dunno.
Have you seen this before?

Attachments

• 20190604_165019.jpg
    20190604_165019.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 83
Brewed a pale with honey malt, S-04, and amylase enzymes to dry it a bit. Just racked to keg and when cleaning the fermenter found these rubbery, light brown chunks maybe 1-2" long. They're like firm seaweed or maybe a soft succulent plant stiffness.
I have never seen these before. The only new thing in my process is the enzyme- around a tbsp in 5g. Beer is great so dunno.

did you use gelatin?

Did you do a protein rest? There have been a number of threads of people asking about these little buggers (or, boogers?) over the years. After having done some reading in the BJCP study guide about the effects of different rests, I’ve come to the conclusion that some malts just produce more gelatin-like byproducts in the wort, and this may be amplified with a protein rest.

Had pretty much this exact same thing in a Hefeweizen. Beer turned out ok, not great. Don’t know what it was but it didn’t seem to hurt anything.

Extract or all grain? Could be chunks of caramelized DME?

Thanks all. No protein rest. Mashed at 154. Its AG, only 2 row and honey malt. Bucket fermenter was clean and sanitized before hand. Slight whirlpool hop addition at around 140. Great fermentation, aroma and taste. The chunks could be crumbled in my hand, and only smelled like the beer.
Beer God boogers?

Back