rubbermaid fermentation control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonrichie

Reaction score
I have a few questions about the rubbermaid waterbath for fermentation temp control. ive read other threads and got some of the answers. This is wuts left that i could think of

1) if im correct the fermentation can increase the brews temp by 5-10 degrees from what ive read. is it safe to say putting the water bath to a lower temp to compensate a good idea?

2)most of the threads referred to ales. could you cool it enough to lager? if so what temperature should the water be?

3)what level should the water be in relation to the wort level?

I have a few questions about the rubbermaid waterbath for fermentation temp control. ive read other threads and got some of the answers. This is wuts left that i could think of

1) if im correct the fermentation can increase the brews temp by 5-10 degrees from what ive read. is it safe to say putting the water bath to a lower temp to compensate a good idea?

2)most of the threads referred to ales. could you cool it enough to lager? if so what temperature should the water be?

3)what level should the water be in relation to the wort level?

1- yes, deffinitly about 5-7 degrees cooler.

2- yes although it is much harder. SOme people use frozen water bottles or ice but they have to be switched out multiple times daily unless you insulate the container. I would stick to ales for now or build yourself a Son of a fermentation chiller

3- i use low water with a tshirt over the carboy and a fan blowing on it for evaporative cooling. If your actually cooling the water via something like an aquarium cooler then submerge the carboy to the level of the beer, otherwise use the swamp cooler method i described with the tshirt.

will the tshirt and fan work for pails too?

yea although i find better results with glass carboys. I live in socal so its pretty temperate here. Depending on how hot it gets, you may need a better option but it works pretty well for me. I can get down to 64 just using a fan which is all i need. If your looking to lager check this out...mother of a fermentation chiller.

DUH- ontario. How cold is it around you this time of year?

(1) No need to hold the water temperature any cooler than you want the wort to ferment. In other words, if you want to ferment at 65F, you need to control the water at 65 F. At the peak of fermentation, you won't see anything higher than 66 inside the fermenter.

(2) I use the IceProbe as my refrigeration source, it is good down to around 60F but can't do much below that. So, I am saying my setup is only good for ales and maybe a few lagers that are good at 60F. If you use a better fridge source, like a freon water cooler coil/ probe you won't have any trouble making a lager in your swamp cooler. I use a Johnson Temp Controller to switch the IceProbe on and off - I get awesome temperature control.

(3) The water level need only be equal to the wort level, if you go too much higher the fermenter will float.

It is a thermoelectric small aquarium chiller. Very energy efficient, no freon, relies on peltier effect. I bought mine from JB Nanotubes for about $90. Plugs right into the side of a rubbermaid garbage can, just had to cut a 1-1/4 ' hole if I remember correctly. They claim if you use 2 you should be able to get control down to 50 F which would let you do lagers. See my gallery for a photo of it installed in the can. I hope it helps,

Back